Bradford Pear in CLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
CLT Landscape Division has felled several LARGE Bradford Pears in the median of Colony Rd near Carmel. The Supervisor said if it's still there when they arrive in the morning they will be loades w/ a crane & taken to the tub grinder @ Compost Central. Trunks appear to be 14"+ & smaller branches are already cut off.

timf67

New User
Tim
Schweet! I live less than a mile from there! I may have to load up the little'uns and go take a look...:widea:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I've got some short sections sliced up and drying in my shed from a neighbor's tree after an ice storm last year. Sure looks nice and buttery yellow. Bet it would carve nice if I was a carver.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Man when stuff like that happens around here it more along the lines of a Palm Tree or a junk pine.:sad11:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I couldn't elaborate on the first post much because I did it on my 'berry. The City of Charlotte Landscaping Division is responsible for plantings in medians & along roadways on all city maintained roads. These pear trees had reached an optimum maturity & appeared to be mostly healthy trees. Inasmuch as a large pear tree is subject to breakage from ice storms creating a driving hazard, they are periodically replaced and the plantings rotated out on a regular basis for continuity. I'm sure there will be other trees around town that meet this fate soon.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
"I'm sure there will be other trees around town that meet this fate soon."

Tonight would be a good opportunity if the temp goes down much more and the wet stuff keeps coming down. They will be splitting all over the area. Just check your neighbor's yard. Most of the older trees have a ~4ft trunk which makes nice lumber. Paint the ends, slice it up, get some ratchet straps and some stickers and put it away for a few years. If you're in the Concord/Charlotte area I have a bandsaw sled you can use to slice it up.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Mark,

If you were a carver, you would love it green, but after it dries bring a jackhammer!

Zach,

I remember seeing a news story after one of the hurricanes where some logging companies from further up the coast came down and did some "community service". The palms and pines were chipped down there, but the trucks made the return trip loaded with Cuban Mahogany and other tropicals.

timf67

New User
Tim
I just drove by the BP trees, and they are loading them onto a flatbed as we speak. I wouldn't have been able to get any of them anyway - at least not without a few people to help! These were 10' long logs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS