Boy, is this EVER woodworking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Our company had a contract to repair a bridge in a gated community so it would accommodate a fire truck. Here's what it looks like:

We had to remove the existing 6 x 6 post rails, panels, and 4 x 6 decking back to this level:

Then we replaced it with this:

Decking is 4 x 10 treated 16' long @ 225# each (157 of them). Posts are 12 x 12 WRC with 6 x 6 rails mortised into the posts. Post caps are copper.
I spent 4 weeks on this project & cut all the timbers to length and fit. Wht fun!

Last edited:

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Dennis,

It looks really good... lots of heavy duty woodworking. I remember your post asking for supplier suggestions for the materials. Where did you end up getting them?

bobby g

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Beautiful work and apparently lots of it. Couldn't have asked for nicer weather to work in. Just kidding of course, that heat must have been a blast...furnace.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I don't envy you the joy of that!
I'm impressed someone thought ahead. Often one of those OH YEAH moments.
My 'quint' weighs in at 56,000 and one of our ladders weighs 74,000.
Nothing quite like seeing a bridge with a truck dangling through it, unless its a collapsed bridge with a truck in it. (Seen both. Neither was a firetruck.)

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done. :icon_thum The angled side rails are a nice touch and will help reduce rot from standing water on top. I certainly do not envy undertaking such a massive project in this weather. :no:

dlrion

New User
Dan
That looks like a lot more WORK, and a lot less FUN than I would want to do...

Especially at 100 degrees and 80 percent humidity...

You must be some tough guy!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Obviously a lot of work, but the end result sure came out nice. I'm w/ Glenn on those angled side rails: nice touch. :icon_thum

Bill

Dragon

New User
David
Great job Dennis. Like CaptA said, nice to see someone thinking ahead. When I was in the FD in SC we had one subdivision with a BIG$$$ home in it that was a good ways off the road and had a small bridge in the driveway across a little stream. No way it would support anything of substantial weight so our "pre plan" was to back down the drive, drop most of the hosebed on the ground and send the truck out the road to hook into the hydrant. Never looked forward to that alarm coming in.

Anyway, again, great job on that bridge and knowing you as I do, I'm sure it's quite up to the job it's designed for.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS