boxwood & ebony needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

me-msahib

New User
Milissa
I need boxwood branches, no smaller than 2" diameter. They are the traditional wood for chess sets (paired with ebony for the black side).

So, I also need ebony, Macassar preferably, but any will do. Again, anything over 2" diameter, any length.

And while I am making my Christmas list...................I would LOVE to have a bit of persimmon to turn. It is the American ebony, you know.

I need long-term suppliers of these woods, if possible.

Will drive anywhere in the region, or arrange shipping.

Thanks!

Milissa

http://picasaweb.google.com/milissa.ellison

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I need boxwood branches, no smaller than 2" diameter. They are the traditional wood for chess sets (paired with ebony for the black side).

So, I also need ebony, Macassar preferably, but any will do. Again, anything over 2" diameter, any length.

And while I am making my Christmas list...................I would LOVE to have a bit of persimmon to turn. It is the American ebony, you know.

Thanks!

Milissa

I have seen both persimmon and ebony turning blanks at Klingspor in Raleigh. I know Woodcraft also has ebony and may have persimmon. Not sure about box wood.

Also try NCWOOD. He is an ebay seller but also runs a store just East of Raleigh.
http://stores.ebay.com/NCWood

JonT

New User
Jon
Dittos to what ScottM said.

I was just at the Klingspor in Raleigh on wednesday. In addition to turning blanks, they had approx 10 bd/ft of Ebony (don't recall which subspecies, sorry) priced at about $55 a bd/ft (which is quite a lot less than Woodcraft Raleigh @ $72.50). 4/4 lumber in widths from about 4" to 6". It was surprisingly good looking wood -- none of the grey/cream streaks I've been seeing over the past few years in the lower grades.

Hope this is helpful.

me-msahib

New User
Milissa
I should say that Gary at NCWood is very easy and pleasant to deal with, plus will put together an order for you based on what you need. PLUS he keeps the shipping costs down. I have bought from him two or three times and recommend him.

Mainly, it's the boxwood that's a problem, although I figured I would ask about ebony & persimmon while I was at it.

A decade or so ago in Sylva a WalMart going in meant that an entire driveway hedge of OLD boxwood bushes was uprooted and burned. I wish I had known how much I was going to need those...I'd have been out there grabbing those bushes up & throwing them into the back of the car!

Milissa

PS) Have sent emails to suppliers I found here, running a "boxwood" search: http://www.woodfinder.com/

PPS, three hours later) Just received first response from a vendor found on the Woodfinder site (above) and got what I wanted...except a decent price. So the Woodfinder site fine, in case anyone else needs such a resource.

me-msahib

New User
Milissa
Thank you! As I said elsewhere, I am 15 months in on a 7 years' apprenticeship, and I haven't worked at the lathe as much as I should have these last 15 months.

There is precious little design involved in what I am doing right now--even the little hollowform bodies are usually experiments with copying or modifying the work of others, such as the Pease family in Ohio.

I decided I had best give myself a real goal rather than "I would like to be a Master Turner" (which was my vague goal last year) and so I am applying this year into the Southern Highland Craft Guild. If I am accepted, it will give me my own credentials, rather than simply being grandfathered in on the reputation of the Master Turner with whom I work. Also, simply putting together the submission is an interesting exercise in itself.

So that's a long-winded way of saying "thanks"! I am glad you like the work. I try very hard in those albums to show process AND product, because I think that people value seeing how something is done as well as what the final result is. In these days of waning craft and craftspeople, I feel it is important that we share how we do what we do.

Milissa

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl

Thanks!

Milissa

We will have some ebony at The Hardwood Store of NC Monday morning.

Glennbear

Glenn
I try very hard in those albums to show process AND product, because I think that people value seeing how something is done as well as what the final result is. In these days of waning craft and craftspeople, I feel it is important that we share how we do what we do.

Milissa

Thank you for pointing this out Milissa, we all tend to complain about customers being unhappy with the prices for our work but the average customer is unaware of the labor involved. Making people aware of the skill and labor involved can only help our cause. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS