Box Hinges- quality alternative to Brusso?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
Hi,

I'm building some small boxes for presents this holiday season and am looking at the hinge hardware now. Brusso seems to be top of the line, but I'm way to cheap for that.

Anyone have any recommendations for quality beyond the borg, but not at the extreme of Brusso?

thanks

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
You can find some less expensive hinges in Lee Valley's Hardware section, linked here. Note they carry Brusso hinges, but also many less expensive Box Hinges. You can also find some nice brass box hinges on the Horton Brasses website for less than 1/2 the price of Brusso's. There are many others, use Google to find many choices.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I will echo McRabbet. For small boxes, I use Horton Brass hinges. They are very high quality machined solid brass, made in the USA. Service from Horton is exceptional. If you email them a question, the reply often times comes from the owner. How often does that happen? The hinges are currently $10.75/pr and can be seen here: http://www.horton-brasses.com/PB-405.asp. I have used dozens of these hinges, and can attest to their quality. Plus, you can order them in about a half dozen different finishes. I have no affiliation with Horton, just a very satisfied customer.

Hope this helps,

Matt

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I will echo McRabbet. For small boxes, I use Horton Brass hinges. They are very high quality machined solid brass, made in the USA. Service from Horton is exceptional. If you email them a question, the reply often times comes from the owner. How often does that happen? The hinges are currently $10.75/pr and can be seen here: http://www.horton-brasses.com/PB-405.asp. I have used dozens of these hinges, and can attest to their quality. Plus, you can order them in about a half dozen different finishes. I have no affiliation with Horton, just a very satisfied customer.

Hope this helps,

Matt
I second Horton Brasses! I felt as though I got personalized service with them too. Highest quality products too!. I bought these wrought iron, hand made rat tail hinges from them. securedownload-1.jpg

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Those are awesome looking rat tail hinges.

Red

Last edited:

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Have you considered wooden hinges? They aren't that difficult to make if you get the hinge jig from Incra, have an adjustable box joint jig, and a router table with a bull nose bit of the correct size for the size hinges you will be making. They can be a lot of fun to make and they look very nice on small boxes. The process makes long hinges and then you cut them shorter if you want to. They can be made from the same wood as the box, or a contrasting color wood of your choice.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS