bowling alley table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Tim Sherwood, note the legs on the table in the above post. Would you daughter go for something like that?

Just a thought after our discussion Thursday.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Nate , I thank you for this information. I think my slab is in better shape than the one this guy was working with. I'll send the link to my daughter and hope for the best. At the moment she is hoping for a base made from old cast iron industrial machinery. Not too practical since the base could then outweigh the bowling alley top!

nblanton

New User
Nate
One thing I took from the reddit post was that he decided to use the bottom of the bowling lane rather than the top.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I once had a workbench made from a 4' length of bowling alley. It came in that length and I didn't modify it, just put legs on it. It was way too heavy, but very solid, but I left it behind when I moved. I had another bench that was made from a shuffle bowler lane, which was double thick 3/4 birch cabinet plywood with a thick Formica covering. It made a very good benchtop, but things kept falling through the slots where the switches had been. Still, it was quite a conversation piece. Who else has a "strike zone" in the middle of their workbench? I left this one behind too, but wish I hadn't left this one.

Charley

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Like these bases?
20141122_091615.jpg

20141122_091607.jpg

20141122_091557.jpg
These are for a special project in the future possibly. I don't know what they came from, but they are solid cast iron and heavy.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Zach that base sure looks sturdy enough! How long have you been moving that from state to state?

Jeff , that's an interesting site. They sure have a big selection. Might be chunk of freight to ship them from California to Florida though. Actually , going to a local welding shop for something similar is still one of the options.
The table that inspired my daughter had a base made from an old ornate cast machinery frame. It still had several gears and levers attached. I've no idea what it's function was when it was in use.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Tim,

Actually , going to a local welding shop for something similar is still one of the options.

I'm confused again but that's not unusual.

Are you going to build the table here in NC along with the legs and take it to your daughter for assembly in Florida?

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Jeff I can see that I wasn't specific. The bowling alley chunk is in Florida now. If we have a welding shop make some legs, it will probably be one local to my daughter, in Florida. Then I will probably pack up some tools and head for Florida , again.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Good luck!

Jeff I can see that I wasn't specific. The bowling alley chunk is in Florida now. If we have a welding shop make some legs, it will probably be one local to my daughter, in Florida. Then I will probably pack up some tools and head for Florida , again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors