Bowl Turning?!%&*#

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
So I got tired of working on period furniture and decided to turn a few bowls. That has always been a fun change of pace. Chucked up a 9" round walnut blank and tried out my new Pinnacle 1/2" bowl gouge. On turning the blank round two catches. On facing off the bottom, one large catch. Forgot everything I ever learned. I guess if you don't use it, your forget how. Yes, I am talking about turning. Got out my round carbide tool and preceded to make a bowl. Frustrating. Think I will go back to the period furniture.
David

• Haha
Reactions: Oka

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If I haven't turned in a while (6 months during and after surgery ) I chuck up a piece of pine and practice my cuts with all my tools until I think I'm ready to go at the real thing. Helps me get ready mentally and retrain muscle memory. If you can get a clean cut on pine you can turn anything.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yup know the feeling June/July was the last time I turned anything, thinking Ill have to do back and practice up again

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Was the new Pinnacle bowl gouge truly sharp? New does not mean sharp. New doesn't even mean correctly ground.
These comments come from a slow learner and were hard-learned lessons.
Moreover, I like and agree with what Mike Davis wrote. I think this is good advice for casual turners, even if you you turned a few days ago.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS