Bowl sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
As a darksider in training, I would like to know what kind of bowl sanders the more experienced folks are using? Also I see sanding disks come in the 1", 2" and 3" sizes. Any preferences on the sizes?

JRD

New User
Jim
Scott,

I've been turning for four years now and still don't have a bowl sander.

I just use a piece of foam rubber, sandpaper, and my hand. A bowl sander may be nice, but
I've found I just don' need one.

Jim

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Scott,

Here are a few options:

1. HF right angle drill and homemade disc holder

2. Shop made passive sander. Link 1 Link 2- this can be found under tips and tricks section. Link 3

3. You can go with a pre bought system. Link 2 + a power drill.

All or any combination of these systems will work. I suggest you start with a 2" or 3", 3" being my first choice. I have some of the required materials for making pads, and you are more than welcome to them, but I won't be able to get them to you until the evening the 23rd.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I use many different sanders on my bowls. On the Out side of the bowls that I can use it, a bosch 5" random orbit sander is used and does a great job. For getting into tighter spots a 2" Hook and Loop pad in a close quarter drill works great. I buy 4" wide rolls of hook and loop backed paper from Kingspor and cut them into squares with the corners cut off on this. It is only penny's per pad and works as good or better than the round disc you buy. On rare occasions I have to cut one round to get into a squared area on a bowl like into the V of a bead. On the inside of open form bowls I use the same sanders. On vases or HF's that have a large enough opening to sand the inside I made a enertia sander on an 16" shaft like my hollowing tools. I can rest the shaft on the tool rest and reach deep iside a HF and sand the inside with out any problem. I use the sames hook and loop sandpaper on this tool as well. For the bottom of HF's I made a 18" extension for one of the hook and loop holders. I then made a handle for it to spin in. You can then lay the handle on the tool rest and sand the bottom of your HF using a hand drill. I wax the shaft of this sander some so that it will spin freely in the handle. I have taped sand paper onto the shaft to sand the bottom of HF's with a smaller opening than the 2" holder will fit.
Jack

mountaintop

New User
Keith
I use both the 2" & 3" velcro sanding disks. I just tried the 1" and found that there is not enough velcro to hold the sanding disc on. I may try the PSA 1" next for the small places. There are a number of soft backing and firm backing to choose from but prefer the firmer pads most of the time.

DavidF

New User
David
I use the right angle sander from HF. It has proved to be a great little tool. The ability to reverse it has come in handy as well on some stubborn grain. I use the 1" harder pad and the 2" soft pad from Klingspor. The hard can remove high spots and actually change the shape of the wood, the soft does a great job of sanding without changing the shape. I LOVE the scallop edge sanding disks and use them from 100 - 220, then hand sand after that.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I have a 2 inch Sorby that I use regularly. For the higher grits I do prefer to use the New-Wave style pads to help feather out any marks. I have toyed with the idea of buying the new Mini-Tool from Sorby which, among other things, can be a sander. At times it would be nice to have something that reaches the tighter curves on the inside of my bowls.

What I like about the rotating sander is that when it does rotate, it guarantees there won't be any areas sanded unevenly. But when it does not turn, you can bet money that it will dig in leaving those ugly swirl marks as you push harder and try to get it turning.

My next little purchase may be a sanding pad I can mount on my drill to try that method out.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I use 2" and 3" hook and loop on a Milwaukee angle drill. as stated before the wavey disks seem to work well with this setup.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Up until now, I've just used sand paper and my hands, but I'd like to get some of the 2" disks and put them on the drill. I know it's good to be able to reverse the direction when sanding on the lathe. Might have to go get some of those. :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS