Bowl Finishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Re: Eastern Cedar Question

DaveO said:
Cad, that is a beautiful Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana) vase. I love the color of that wood. What did you finish it with?
Dave:)

Dave some people will probably think me excentric, but the process I use to finish my bowls is quite convoluted. I include finishing my work on the lathe, all the way to the final coats of poly if I use it.

I sand thru at least 5 grits finishing with 320 or 400. Then fine steel wool. If necessary I apply a muslin buffing wheel to the surface while it spins, using a right angle drill spinning in the opposite direction to remove any trace of scratches.

Next I apply spray laquer (Deft sanding sealer), it dries in 2 minutes spinning on the lathe. Then I take a strip of white felt, and apply light pressure to this coat which brings it to a dazzling luster.

I repeat this 2 more times to build a good hard coat.

I let it sit in the house for at least a day, then chuck it in the lathe again and apply spray gloss polyurethane. This takes at least 8 hrs to dry, so next day I chuck it again, smooth it with fine wool, and polish that coat with a new felt strip. If no problems, I apply 2nd coat of poly and repeat the process.

Usually 2 coats are enough, but have put as many as 4 on them.

Using the felt strip and light pressure, polishes the clear coat to a dazzling luster. This cedar vase doesnt have that kind of finish. But some of my other ones do. I stopped at 3 coats of laquer on this vase.

You cant beat the shine and luster the felt strip creates. Cotton would work, but lint can be a problem using it.

But you will have to be careful. If you let the strip heat the coat too much, it will start peeling streaks of it off and redepositing it on your work and strip. This will force you to back up several steps to remove the streaks and start over.

The felt induces heat to the coat. Just enough friction blends the coat to one consistent layer. Done properly, your work will look like it is coated in glass.

cad

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member

wow.. that is a spectatular vase! Your finishes are mirror like and absolutely beautiful

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland

I forgot to mention something guys. If you try this method, you can get white stains in places after you apply poly over the laquer.

This isnt a serious issue but to overcome it, I have found a little while in the sun, seems to clear this up. I dont know yet what causes it. Still experimenting to determine the cause.

I am going to try a blow dryer on the stain in a few hours to see if heat removes it, or ultraviolent rays.

Most times though, it goes away after a few days. But it seems to be relevant to the age or cure, of the poly.

cad

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Answers about white stain

Okay, I know this isnt about cedar, but its following up on my mention of how I finish my pieces.

The white stain must be some kind of temperature variation present in my wood prior to applying the poly.

If I apply my blow dryer to the stain, it goes away. Heat seems to disipate it right out.

So if any of you try my finish method, and get the white stains, dont despair. Wait till the poly has cured dry to the touch and apply a hair dryeer closely to the stain.

cad

Matt

New User
Matt Willis

Cad,

Your cracking may have been due to working in green wood. I have some cedar logs (green) in my garage and they split just looking at them.

Other turners around here have told me that splits and cracks are VERY common in cedar. It must be turned quickly after being cut and dried carefully.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Re: Answers about white stain

The white stain must be some kind of temperature variation present in my wood prior to applying the poly.

Cad,

I have experience what I call "blush" when spraying finishes if the humidity is high so I am wondering if what you are experiencing is moisture related, possibly coming from the green wood. Since it dissapates with the air from the hair dryer. May not be related but just thought I would throw this out for consideration.

MIke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS