Bowl Carving 1st real Dive

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Ok, the back story on the wood. There is a Buddhist temple near me and they had one of the biggest and most beautiful Monkeypod Trees on this Island...... until they decided to cut it down........:(

Anyway, the guy taking the tree down was a bit of a rookie, so one day, I assisted him laying out how to bring it down without damaging the fence, street, etc.
In return, he gave me some wood. The wood I used is from this Monkeypod tree. The wood dried for 2 years and then I box dried it more.
Originally, I turned the inside on lathe and was intending to just cut a Monkypod leaf shape for the edge....... until.......I started using those Kutzall carbide gouges and disks. It gave me the false sense I could do this no problem.
Anyway, I got it done..... the "no problem" part not so much. I have been playing with this for weeks. No one tells you how much scraping, and sanding you are in for. The win, it looks decent, the lose looks more like a Elm leaf.....I'll just call it creative interpretation ... ;)
I included a couple pixs of the tree, pixs of the leaves/flowers, a pix of some of the rough milled wood and of course, the bowl.

Not sure I'll ever do one of these again, don't think I have the patience for it.

Attachments

• bowl (1).jpg
    bowl (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • bowl (2).jpg
    bowl (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • bowl (3).jpg
    bowl (3).jpg
    912.9 KB · Views: 103
  • bowl (4).jpg
    bowl (4).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 103
  • bowl (5).jpg
    bowl (5).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • bowl (6).jpg
    bowl (6).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
  • bowl (7).jpg
    bowl (7).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
  • leaves.jpg
    leaves.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 109
  • Monkeypod Buddist temple (1).jpg
    Monkeypod Buddist temple (1).jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Monkeypod Buddist temple (2).jpg
    Monkeypod Buddist temple (2).jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 104
  • rough.jpg
    rough.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 115

ssmith

New User
Scott
Shame to lose such an impressive tree but man, you made a work of art out of the wood. Very impressive.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
That came out really nice. Good job! Though I do hate they took down such a beautiful tree.

• Thanks

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
That tree makes me wish for my youthful tree-climbing days, that would have been an awesome tree to climb! The bowl is beautiful as are your pictures.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
GREAT looking bowl - but I'm wondering about that iron stand ;)
And what a fantastic tree it was.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes, that tree is gone now. I took pictures of it before they cut it down.

It was such a beautiful tree
I am thinking they should go back and get the Karma 101 course!!! (that one is going to bite them!!!)

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
What an amazing tree. You have extended its purpose in a beautiful tribute. Your workmanship is excellent. Thanks for sharing the story. I had never heard of a monkey pod tree before.

• Thanks

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Thank you, Linc ...Monkey pod is part of the Acacia family, relative to Koa or Brazilian cherry. It is a common tree here. Both Koa and Monkypod are roughly the same hardness of oak.
What an amazing tree. You have extended its purpose in a beautiful tribute. Your workmanship is excellent. Thanks for sharing the story. I had never heard of a monkey pod tree before.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS