Bourbon boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam60191

New User
john
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and new to North Carolina for that matter, just moved here on a job promotion from Chicago. Loving the weather guys, i mean come on, how can anybody complain about anything when it's sunny and warm this time a year :)

To add a little, i love wood working and have done some, wood turning, customs home projects, mostly furniture and now I was looking create a unique dining table.

I stumbled over this on Craigslist http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mat/2244449891.html and i have helped a friend install this old heart pine before and it is really beautiful given the right treatment so figuring this awesome deal I think i'm going to craft a top out of it. Anybody got some neat suggestions, comments etc?

Best regards,

New NC wood junky

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Bourbon boards - welcome!

Welcome Adam - to this little corner of the WW internet - and to NC. As a northern transplant (Ontario Canada) I too love the weather - from October to March. I've lived here 18 years and still hate the humidity as much as I did the first day.

As to WW'ing I just completed a project similar to what you are describing - in my case a large kitchen table made form heartwood pine. I did a series of posts (in excruciating detail) on the process, but here is a link to the most general post
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37044
There are other Work in progress posts that give all the detail.

The wood was a challenge for me to work with - be used to more conventional defect free (at least in theory) type projects. But once I got over the desire to hide nail holes and knots, it was fun (and refreshing to allow defects).

By all means take pictures (in process!) as well as the end result. If there is any them to this group it is We LOVE pictures!

Post early and post often - questions, answers, challenges, and pictures!

Henry W

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User

Welcome to the forum. Any old wood made new again is beautiful. That is some beautiful looking wood with a cool history.

Red

TBone

Tommy
Senior User

Welcome to the forum. Glad you like the weather, wait until August and we'll talk again. I love heart pine. In addition to how great it looks, it smells fantastic when you're working it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Welcome to NC and NCWW. You're spot on about the weather, but wait until the summer months. You may miss the coolness around Lake Michigan. I left Ohio about 32 years ago and have come to accept our NC humid summers as a fair trade-off for 9 months of good stuff. :thumbs_up

It seems that The Building Center is just down the road from you and $5.95/sq. ft=5.95/bf. Indeed, a very good price for reclaimed heart pine with an interesting history as well. The flooring boards are listed as 3" wide so you'll get lots of experience with slip matching and gluing up a table top. Heart pine is a pleasure to work with once you get used to the "character" as Henry noted.

Good luck and welcome again.:eek:ccasion1

Glennbear

Glenn
Welcome John, good luck with your recycled wood project. I work a lot with recycled "soft" woods and would just caution you to not be aggressive with your choice of sanding grits since the difference between early and late growth rings can cause problems otherwise DAMHIKT :BangHead:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to Dixie and NCWW. I have been down here 18 years from upstate NY. First couple winters I wore noting heavier then a flannel shirt. Now I get cold during the NC winters.

You will love it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS