Bought an old unisaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Way back in December, I posted about a saw I had seen for sale. I thought I wanted a newer version, but after listening to FredP and twodognc, I decided to give it a second chance. I called after Christmas and the guy said it was sold. Saw another one listed last week and, after an e-mail, figured out it was the same one (deal fell through). Checked it out on Wednesday and hauled it home today ($500). So, I guess this completes the woodworker progression from lousy entry level saw, to not so great mid level saw, and finally, rock solid cabinet saw.:lol:

Any help decoding the serial number would be appreciated (116-2293). Not sure of the model number either. It's missing a guard/splitter and doesn't have a motor cover, but the rest is there - plus a 52" unifence and extension table from 1986. At this point, I'll clean it up and probably put a new on/off switch on it, but save the total restoration for later.

5.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
that rates a BIG YOU SUCK!!!!! it doesnt look in bad shape at all. clean the top and use it for a while. then you will know how much restoring you want to do on it.:icon_thum

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I've gotta agree with FredP You Suck ! I think you will be happy with the performance, all of the rust and stuff looks superficial. Use it and find out if it needs anything other than superficial work, and then work on it later. If you have any specific problems just post them, we have some people here ( especially Bruce- junquecol) that have done alot or restoration work on Uni's that I'm sure will guide you.

Jimmy:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Congrats on a great tool snag. It's nice to know some of this old iron can still do the job... even if it does need a bit of cleaning. A machine like that should give you many years of terrific service

Ray

novice99

New User
Mike
Greg-
Congrats on your score!

Having just gotten a similar age PM66 which I just finished cleaning, tuning, and aligning, I must warn you about the 'just cleaning it' process. It is way too easy to get sucked into a total overhaul. All my bearings and machined surfaces were good so it was not too much of a detour for me, but...

Try and remember the purpose is to make sawdust in order to stay on track. Good Luck.

oh yeah- YOU SUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS