Bought a Nice Spokeshave But Ughhhhhh

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Well I bought a nice Stanley 55 concave spokeshave from Ed's Antique Tools in Pittsboro ,NC. (He was great to work with!) He sharpened it before sending and it worked pretty good for a novice like me on it. I tried it out a little while Wed..I wanted to go to shop for a few minutes.....planned only 15 min at most. I had been out there 1 1/2 minutes and dropped it....broke one handle off. It had not occurred to me it was cast iron. I feel like dufuss or something!.....Just feel really beaten up now!
Wowwwwww!!

Last edited:

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Don't despair yet. In some cases cast iron can be repaired by braising or welding. It will depend on the location of the break and the repair done with appropriate filler rod. If it makes you feel any better... I installed a 198" bandsaw blade and kinked it about 3 minutes into re-sawing green wood.:(

Flute Maker

Mike
User
It is a good clean break about 3/4" away from the blade and sole of the spokeshave. It is at the best place looks like to me to repair

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Mike,

Cast iron called be welded. Check with a local machine shop and looks for one of older guys.

The front trunion on my unisaw broke before I even fired it up. First place said they couldn’t repair it, second place discussed and then repaired. I’ve used it for a little over year without issue.

1a5d81fe-1ec6-4390-a0ca-ce62a1159496

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
There are situations where a one handled spokeshave can come in handy. Grind down the stub all the way and use it when you need to get into a tight place.

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I sympathize. I dropped a block plane during the vortex and broke the iron cap. I may try epoxy as it was the back (handle) that lost a chunk.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
This Ebay seller has plane parts for sale. I follow him since I occasionally need some parts.

[h=2]nhplaneparts on Ebay. Haven't really used him yet, but he has a lot of stuff available.[/h]

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
Don't despair yet. In some cases cast iron can be repaired by braising or welding. It will depend on the location of the break and the repair done with appropriate filler rod. If it makes you feel any better... I installed a 198" bandsaw blade and kinked it about 3 minutes into re-sawing green wood.:(

Brazing or even silver soldering works well for cast iron. Welding is possible but tricky and probably not necessary.

Silver soldering is pretty low temperature so you could do it with a propane torch. If you can get the ends clean and coated with flux and clamped in place, flowing some silver solder into the crack of the heated part is pretty easy. I have cast iron parts including a hand wheel that I repaired years ago with silver solder that are going strong.

Brazing is a better answer, but requires a hotter flame. If you or a friend don't have the tools and skills, having a pro braze it is probably worth it.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
This Ebay seller has plane parts for sale. I follow him since I occasionally need some parts.

nhplaneparts on Ebay. Haven't really used him yet, but he has a lot of stuff available.

I've bought a number of plane parts from him and have always been happy with what I've bought. So, +1 from me.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

nhplaneparts on Ebay. Haven't really used him yet, but he has a lot of stuff available.

I have bought several parts from him. Good supplier. Prices can be a little high, but always lower than replacing a plane.

He may even have the spokeshave body that Mike needs.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS