Unicorn, guitar and Chief Wahoo

Attachments

• received_742932449932330.jpeg
    received_742932449932330.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 268

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Have a live stream on YouTube of the Onefinity running doing a 24" Looney tunes Aztec calendar.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Is that the ~$100 Makita router?
I have been using one on my CNC for over 10 years now. The original bearings went out after about 1 year. Replaced the bearings with better ones off Amazon and it has been fine since then.
I did purchase a backup refub router, just in case.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Does your software give you an estimate of how long it will take?
Aspire will give an estimate. I have never trusted it too much. There are many parameters that you need to fiddle with to get it accurate.
It isn't worth the effort, unless you are billing by that time.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Does your software give you an estimate of how long it will take?

Yes it gave a estimate and was off about 1hr.

Is that the ~$100 Makita router?
I have been using one on my CNC for over 10 years now. The original bearings went out after about 1 year. Replaced the bearings with better ones off Amazon and it has been fine since then.
I did purchase a backup refub router, just in case.

Yes it is the $100 router, it went out after the first 10 hours sent it in for warranty repair think it was a issue with the armature,Brushes wore out and so did the replacement brushes in less than 10 hrs. Think I have more on it now so hopefully it will last.

I picked up the Harbor freight version just in case it dies and i need the machine running

I used the HF till the Makita was returned.Figured the HF would of died before the Makita.

I was surprised how quit it is when it run's.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I had some of the settings off but here is how it turned out.

Attachments

• 145005807_10219363148736885_5439893360689769538_o.jpg
    145005807_10219363148736885_5439893360689769538_o.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 274

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Yes it gave a estimate and was off about 1hr.

Yes it is the $100 router, it went out after the first 10 hours sent it in for warranty repair think it was a issue with the armature,Brushes wore out and so did the replacement brushes in less than 10 hrs. Think I have more on it now so hopefully it will last.

I picked up the Harbor freight version just in case it dies and i need the machine running

I used the HF till the Makita was returned.Figured the HF would of died before the Makita.

I was surprised how quit it is when it run's.
I checked a little closer - your using a "trim" router. I have been using the plunge router version.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
For what it's worth, I just picked up the Carbide 3D knockoff of the Makita trim router. It was $80. Selling points for me were the longer cord (12') and it includes spare brushes and a set of precision 1/8" and 1/4" collets. An aftermarket 1/8" collet for the Makita seems to run $25-30 by itself.

Keep posting the projects you guys.

-Mark

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I was able to finally make a few things to be sold in Tobacco stores.
cigar ash trays with slate inserts

ayXsQHG.jpg

UbthTMA.jpg

we got talking and asked about wood trays
and these are what i came up with

zxrLcdp.jpg

73nqCQu.jpg

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
This thread is great. Like some others here I too am thinking about entry level CNC. While the machines seem straight forward enough, my hesitancy has been what I feel may be a steep learning curve on the computer software side of the equation. Any observations on how a newbie might best get up to speed there?

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
This thread is great. Like some others here I too am thinking about entry level CNC. While the machines seem straight forward enough, my hesitancy has been what I feel may be a steep learning curve on the computer software side of the equation. Any observations on how a newbie might best get up to speed there?
Buy raffle tickets and hope to win the ShopBot training class :)

And if that doesn't work out, best way is to just dive in and play around, and watch lots of YouTube videos. This is what I did first, and then I won a ShopBot class and went to that (I think they are online now)

RouterGuy

New User
Donnovan
I was completely new to CNC when I got mine this year. It definitely took a few months to learn. Speeds / feeds / bit types / depth of cut. I use Vcarve Pro for my software and it has some complex features but it's not too hard to learn.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
There are a few free programs like carbide create and easel.
You can design most thinkgs in carbide create the above pictures where design using carbide create. There is usually facebook groups to help you with what ever cnc machine you get.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I've had a Onefinity for 6 months now and I love it. Definitely was a learning curve for me.
I have mine for a year and sold a few things and gave stuff away.

If anyone is interested in seeing a onefinity before buying one your more than welcome to come and check it out.
I am not the best with all the designing software /technical stuff but i will help anyway i can.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I was completely new to CNC when I got mine this year. It definitely took a few months to learn. Speeds / feeds / bit types / depth of cut. I use Vcarve Pro for my software and it has some complex features but it's not too hard to learn.
Im amazed you would spend $2k for software as a newbie.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS