bought a broken milwaukee router off of ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if this is a gloat I am not much about gloating but being thrifty I am all about... I took a little risk and just bought this off of ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILWAUKEE-5...279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbf200457

I had 2 or 3 thoughts.... I all ready own one of these but wanted a second router for my leigh jig I got last week... I figure I can put the brushes from mine in this one and see if it fixes the problem after I blow it out and clean it up... if it is the speed control unit then that is about 38 bucks and brushes would be 5 or so I think when I looked it up the other day

worse comes to worse I have a extra base to leave attached to other router table to fit my router and I will have a extra col-let wrenches and case since I have the combo case and it is huge to carry around

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Milwaukee routers, in my experience, love to get a spec of dust under a brush. At least mine do!. Just hose 'em out with air. Might just fix it.

Milwaukee routers, in my experience, love to get a spec of dust under a brush. At least mine do!. Just hose 'em out with air. Might just fix it.

yea the hardware store here sells Milwaukee parts and I called today and ordered 2 sets for less then $5 and no shipping one time cheaper to buy in the store they will take a week to get he thought... I figured they will not go to waste since I already have one of the same router..

yea I do not know what I will find taking it apart but as long at the armature is ok then I should be ok... If I have to I will invest in a speed control but that is the most I will spend to fix it other wise I will just harvest the base off of I guess.

I think they person mailed it today at least I have a tracking number just do not know if he dropped it at the post office. If he did I figure I will have it by Friday or maybe Thursday

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Check list

#1: look inside to see if the motor windings are clean copper colored.
#2: Look at the commutator bars and the wire connections to see if they are all there and in good shape. Single black scorched marks on the bars isn't good.
#3: With the router unplugged, depress the switch and hold it. Check continuity between the plug prongs and the commutator bars on the armature (where the brushes rub)

If 1 and 2 are go, then its some electrical flow stoppage.
Check the cord from the plug blade to where the wires go into the switch for a break in the cord.

Check to see that the brushes move in and out of their channel freely are are long enough to touch the commutator bars.

Rotate the armature by hand listening for gritty sound in the bearings.

Buying used portable power tools is a high risk game. Often the seller and the buyer have widely varying interpretations of "good condition". There's no way to ever know whether or not a seller did or did not have full knowledge of a fatal flaw.

Check list

Thank you very much for your Checklist Post this will help me alot...

it stated in that ad that it ran but had a short so I know I am taking a risk but I figured it was worth what I paid at least for another base that would fit my other router the carrying case and the collet in the router....

I would have liked and should have asked him to define the short and when it happens but I did not... I have my multimeter ready and I will take photos and see what I find

Thanks again for taking the time to make your checklist that should help me alot

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The word "short" can mean different things to different people. I suspect that the seller was using that vague term because it would muddy the clarity of the actual problem. Keep your hopes up. It could be something as simple as a broken brush spring or a loose connection somewhere creating the same symptoms as a short in the armature's commutator bars (a fatal flaw).

My wife commonly uses the term "short" to describe the reason nothing happens when the "on" switch is hit in whatever appliance.

This is a "short"
electric-shock.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS