Bottle Stopper makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
When you do the final assembly by applying either the Epoxy or the CA and then turn the stopper into the top does any of yours get real tight about 75% of the way in? If so how do you get it to turn the rest of the way in?

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara
I always drill the hole a little deeper than suggested so the extra glue will have a place to go. With the non threaded stoppers if the diameter of the hole is really close to he diameter of the tenon, sometimes the trapped air will not escape well. I use the threaded stoppers and dry fit each before using the glue.

If you guys use beeswax, won't that affect the holding ability of the glue?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Just got through with one of the BOW stoppers and I did dry fit it with some wax and it went on fine then put in a few drops of CA - screwed the stopper in and it stopped about a 32nd from going all the way up:BangHead: Pictures to follow as soon as I can round up a camera

woodArtz

New User
Bob
No glue dude... :no:. Once the threads are in the stopper, it is unlikely to come out on it's own anyway. As mentioned above, cut the threads a little deeper than you need. For added assurance, I chase the threads with a tap. When your done with your stopper, apply a tiny bit of beeswax on the threads. Screw the top on... viola, your done. :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip
No glue dude... :no:. Once the threads are in the stopper, it is unlikely to come out on it's own anyway. As mentioned above, cut the threads a little deeper than you need. For added assurance, I chase the threads with a tap. When your done with your stopper, apply a tiny bit of beeswax on the threads. Screw the top on... viola, your done. :icon_thum

Bob, the stoppers that I have been making and selling like hot cakes are the ones with the cork screw - do you not think those need a little bit more security holding with the glue since they will be pulled on while pulling the cork out - I don't know :dontknow:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
drill a little deeper.:icon_thum exess glue needs someplace to go.:gar-Bi the tap is prolly tapered some also. you need to tap deep enough to get full threads for the full length. dry fit and make sure its deep enough to accomadate the glue.
you dont need massive amounts of glue. a couple drops will do ya.:icon_thum what glue are you useing? thick would be my choice to give more open time. if the glue is setting too quickly that may be the problem. I've had that happen on pen tubes.......:gar-Cr

PChristy

New User
Phillip
what glue are you useing? thick would be my choice to give more open time. if the glue is setting too quickly that may be the problem. I've had that happen on pen tubes.......:gar-Cr

Med CA - I will get some thick on my next order - thanks:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS