Bosch vs. SawStop litigatiom update

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Says I'm locked out when I go to the link, might be a password accessed article. I'm interested in what it says though. :)

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
It does for me now too...it's just not my day you know... it's been like this all day long!!! Mom said I'd have days like this...

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Thanks for posting but I don't see any big news here. Unless SawStop gets the court to block importation of the Bosch saw, this doesn't mean much. You have to go all the way through the process. Decisions can be reversed until you are done. Usually the parties settle. Continuing litigation for years is expensive.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
The following link is from Woodworker's Journal. It is intended for information only. I realize this topic is controversial to many members, but I still feel we all have a vested interest in safety and should be aware of this development, although it is not a conclusion:
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/bosch-reaxx-sawstop-litigation-update/

Makes you wonder if its about safety to Sawstop or just the money. I understand they have invested millions in the technology, but in the best interest of safety, they should license it (Im guessing this is what may end up happening here, Bosch will pay a fee per unit sold) to anyone who can incorporate it. But , knowing how patents are written, I think Bosch has also created a new patentable extension of the original design by not destroying the blade and a cartridge during deployment. This may end up being a huge battle for sure and may come down to who has deeper pockets.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Makes you wonder if its about safety to Sawstop or just the money. I understand they have invested millions in the technology, but in the best interest of safety, they should license it (Im guessing this is what may end up happening here, Bosch will pay a fee per unit sold) to anyone who can incorporate it. But , knowing how patents are written, I think Bosch has also created a new patentable extension of the original design by not destroying the blade and a cartridge during deployment. This may end up being a huge battle for sure and may come down to who has deeper pockets.

If it comes down to who has the deeper pockets, then I think Bosch will win that battle. But I am be biased as I work for Bosch.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Makes you wonder if its about safety to Sawstop or just the money.

If it were about safety I feel Gass would have open sourced the technology. It's about the money for both companies, that's why they exist, to make money.

Yeah if it comes down to money then Bosch is going to win. I suspect they spend more $$ each year on toilet paper than Sawstop makes.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
It always irritates me when a business says that their primary goal is benefiting humanity when the real reason is to make money. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with making money and a lot of it. There is nothing wrong with truthfully advocating for the superiority of your product or service. But when a business tries to distance itself from the primary reason that they are in business - making money - then they are lying to you.

I have been amazed that Saw Stop never managed to talk other tool manufacturers into licensing their patent. [By the way, shouldn't the Saw Stop patents have expired by now?]

Pete

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I have been amazed that Saw Stop never managed to talk other tool manufacturers into licensing their patent. [By the way, shouldn't the Saw Stop patents have expired by now?

In the past I've read SawStop has 100's of patents and it's difficult to tell, but the important ones would expire in 2021 or so.

I own a SawStop ICS and it's a great saw ... built like a tank, beyond awesome customer service, and safer than your typical saw in the event of an accident. My feelings are that SawStop (the company) SHOULD be protected as they have invested and innovated with intentions to make money, but also improve safety.

With that said, I think the company is playing a dangerous game. Focus on licensing the technology and get a "big boy" player (other than Bosch) who wants to compete without starting from the ground-up. SawStop can produce a "high end" saw and let the big manufacturers incorporate the technology in lower end saws perhaps.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
My feelings are that SawStop (the company) SHOULD be protected as they have invested and innovated with intentions to make money, but also improve safety.
Unfortunately for Sawstop, "Should" isnt a legal term. Patents are only as good as the attorney's understanding of how broadly the idea can be covered.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Focus on licensing the technology and get a "big boy" player ...

Gass burned his bridges after the first time. The problem then was the technology was unproven, presented huge liability risks, there was no exclusivity, and the fee structure increased the more companies that adopted it. That meant that the first company to go out on a limb would be penalized. When no company would agree, Gass badmouthed them and tried to shove it down their throat.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since Stanley/ B&D is acquiring Craftsman, I wonder if they're going on a hunting expedition? Looks like some big game out there.......

Rick M

New User
Rick
According to the email I got, Stanley bought rights to use the Craftsman trademark but ownership is still Sears'. I think, it wasn't specific but both companies will be using it.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
According to the email I got, Stanley bought rights to use the Craftsman trademark but ownership is still Sears'. I think, it wasn't specific but both companies will be using it.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
None of those names means quality anymore unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS