Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Not Mine

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/2163373248.html

Bosch router combo - $110 (Cary)

Date: 2011-01-16, 12:22PM EST
Reply to: sale-eb3ms-2163373248@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Bosch router combo 1617. Excellent condition. Original owner.
All original components included, with manual, and both 1/2" and 1/4" collet.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3n13ma3p05T05P65X3b1g2404d1fe51cf1b6b.jpg

PostingID: 2163373248

gunit1400

New User
Scott
Bought it! Got it for $100 and he met me in east Raleigh, close to Knightdale. Not a bad deal, model 1617 single speed. A little tight getting in and out of the bases, so I'll have to see about cleaning it up or something.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Bought it! Got it for $100 and he met me in east Raleigh, close to Knightdale. Not a bad deal, model 1617 single speed. A little tight getting in and out of the bases, so I'll have to see about cleaning it up or something.

Scott,

Wow, that's great! Thanks for letting us know!

I think, the bases are aluminum. They clean up fairly easily.

From the pics, looks they are in very good shape!

Bon Apetit

Matt

gunit1400

New User
Scott
The bases are marked Magnesium. I have put a wire brush in my drill and hit the outside of the router motor to clean it up some, but it didn't help much. I think I'm going to hit it with some paste wax to see if it will help some. Since it is both bases that are tight, I'm thinking it's the motor that's the problem. It runs great and I can't wait to try it out. You have any other suggestions? Thanks for you time.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The bases are marked Magnesium. I have put a wire brush in my drill and hit the outside of the router motor to clean it up some, but it didn't help much. I think I'm going to hit it with some paste wax to see if it will help some. Since it is both bases that are tight, I'm thinking it's the motor that's the problem. It runs great and I can't wait to try it out. You have any other suggestions? Thanks for you time.

You may want to try some high grit emery paper/cloth on the inside of the bases and followup with a through waxing with Johnson's paste was. Works for me when the motors stick a little in the base.:icon_thum:icon_thum

(If it is really gunked up, clean it first with a little Acetone.)

Wayne

gunit1400

New User
Scott
You may want to try some high grit emery paper/cloth on the inside of the bases and followup with a through waxing with Johnson's paste was. Works for me when the motors stick a little in the base.:icon_thum:icon_thum

(If it is really gunked up, clean it first with a little Acetone.)

Wayne

Thanks, I'll give that a try. If all else fails, I found the replacement housing is only about $18, so that's another option if it comes down to that.

gunit1400

New User
Scott
Thought I'd give an update. I found three of the router housings on ebay and won the auction for a little over $11, with $14 shipping. One alone anywhere is about $18-20, not counting shipping. So I have replaced the housing with a new one and it is as smooth as silk. And I have two left for spares.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Bosch will change the motor housing. There is an ongoing issue with the mag bases sticking to the motor with the OEM motor housing.

DWSmith

New User
David
When the 1617 was first introduced, the motor housings were un-coated magnesium which quickly oxidized and started sticking. After many returns, a coating was added to the housings to eliminate the sticking. This is a very good router with the fixed base but the plunge base never did operate well. I'll bet the seller had a problem with sticking and didn't know how to fix it.

BTW The sticking problem was caused by the motor housing oxidizing and not the bases. The bases, plunge and fixed, were coated from day one.

I hope the eBay seller had the coated housings otherwise the sticking will happen again. I clean my three 1617's two or three times a year with a light brushing with a 400 grit sandpaper followed by an application of Top Coat.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Thought I'd give an update. I found three of the router housings on ebay and won the auction for a little over $11, with $14 shipping. One alone anywhere is about $18-20, not counting shipping. So I have replaced the housing with a new one and it is as smooth as silk. And I have two left for spares.

Nice workaround !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS