Bosch Colt Varialble Palm Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddler

New User
Todd
I was looking at that after the good review in AmericanWoodworker (?). The online reviews are not nearly as positive. Complaints about the spindle lock being flimsy and not aligned with the base.

I don't know, but a lot of the reviewers with bad things to say seemed to be using it in production shops, so I'm still considering it. It's 3rd or 4th on my list of "I wants".

I'm also wondering how much better it is than buying dremel's plunge router base for $25, so if anyone has both, I'd like to hear a comparison.

Todd

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
the colt has had some positive reviews here, but one can get other 'trim' size routers for much less, and get similar performance. someone here has done some impressive router-carving with a $10 trim router

sapwood

New User
Roger
Check out this thread. Splinter (Dolan) did a nifty raised letter sign using a $10 router from HF, Homier, or whatever :)

Roger

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks Roger, that is the direction I was going in, but I gotta be quick in my entries here when at work:eusa_shhh, so I couldn't spend any time looking for the link.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Check out this thread. Splinter (Dolan) did a nifty raised letter sign using a $10 router from HF, Homier, or whatever :)

Roger

I've got 2 of them now. One from Homier (app $7 plus shipping) and one from HF ($16.95). Identical except for color. I added a 12" square plexi base with dual handles to one and used it continuously for over an hour with no problems. I made a 9" square base with dual handles for the other one. They are fun to use. I used one of them last week to round over the edges of 38 2" holes and was thinking when I was doing it....man this is fun. I have less that $40 invested in both of them including the bases I made.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
David,
A few folks got the small Trend routers at the CLT WW show last year for ~$80. I've not heard much feedback from them but they looked like a nice small router.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have the Colt and really like it a lot. I did have a problem with the spindle lock on it when it came to bit changes. Found a fix to that little issue, documented here:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5950&highlight=colt

I have it for about almost a year now and certainly wouldn't want to part with it now. There are less expensive trimmers out there, but I have found this one to be just what I need and has served me quite well!

Wayne

M

McRabbet

David,
A few folks got the small Trend routers at the CLT WW show last year for ~$80. I've not heard much feedback from them but they looked like a nice small router.
I was one of several folks from the site that bought the Trend Router (made in the UK) T-3 at the now-defunct Charlotte Woodworking Show and I've used it for a variety of tasks. It was $69. It has a 1/4" collet (plus 2 metric collets), accepts P-C Guide Bushings, is a plunge Router, is Variable Speed and has a fence and two knob handles for firm handling. I made a handy jig (see my Gallery) that uses this router for making loose tenon mortises. It is a nice little package and sports plenty of punch for its size
T3_Kit.jpg

You can find a review here. It is available in the USA through some tool suppliers and the Company's website.

I also have a Porter Cable Trim Router and I like it for it's one-hand usage, especially for trimming laminate.

Rob

Nativespec

New User
David
Thanks for the advice. I did some research and bought the installers kit through Amozon and a threaded base for templets. If anyone is interested, it sells for about $180 and you can get $30 off by applying for a (Chase) Amazon Visa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS