Bosch Colt Offset Router Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Well, I finally got around to making something from the haul of plastic goods that Amy Dowden scored for some of us awhile back.

It's an Offset Router plate/jig for the Bosch Colt(already broken in) :
Offset_Router_Jig.JPG

I don't think Bosch sells these, I know they have a router plate, but not an offset. There are some folks who sell but want anywhere from $30 -50 depending.

This one cost @ $3 in materials. I turned a 1.5 X 1.5 X 2 piece of hard maple for the handle and used 1 1/4in20 nut and bolt to connect to plate.

I loved milling this plastic. Easy to cut (a bit brittle) but once I got the rough cuts done, I just used a circular sander to finish shape and used up to 1200 grit to finish sand. Easy Peasy! Drilling it was also easy.

Thanks for looking!
Matt

Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
How'd you make the cuts? I've drooled over Pat Warner's version but hard to spend more on the base than the router.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
How'd you make the cuts? I've drooled over Pat Warner's version but hard to spend more on the base than the router.

I used 10in sliding miter saw with an 80 tooth blade. I think 80 teeth is the minimum you need to make clean cuts. Make straight angular cuts around the base (doesn't need to be too close) Then used a 10in circular sander with 80 grit to shape sand to the line. It mill sands pretty fast and clean.

Just be careful when cutting! I tried to cut small pieces and it just shattered and frags went everywhere (Eye protection crucial). But just dont take to small a cut, especially around the round part of base.

Lemme know if you have any other questions!

This was fun and easy. Took only an hour or two. I took longer because I turned the knob, instead of buying one.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks!
I'll need to try that. I have some 3/8" plexiglass but been hesitant to hack it up. Now to figure out how to center the hole...:icon_scra

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Matt!!!

that is a really close imitation of the Pat Warner version!!!

Can you make me one? (Just kiddin' ya!!!!) I too have that sheet from Amy. You have latched onto a cool idea! :icon_cheers:icon_cheersThere have been times where I wish I had that offset for my Colt too!!!

Thanks a bunch for the inspiration!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That sure looks like a very useful add-on and am sure that it will see some really great use in the shop!:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

You are really stepping the shop a few notches!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Wayne

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Matt!!!

that is a really close imitation of the Pat Warner version!!!

Can you make me one? (Just kiddin' ya!!!!) I too have that sheet from Amy. You have latched onto a cool idea! :icon_cheers:icon_cheersThere have been times where I wish I had that offset for my Colt too!!!

Thanks a bunch for the inspiration!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That sure looks like a very useful add-on and am sure that it will see some really great use in the shop!:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

You are really stepping the shop a few notches!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Wayne

Wayne,
You can use mine as a template. Your welcome anytime to stop by.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I really appreciate.

Matt

garymuto

New User
Gary
FWIW I read somewhre that you can use a propane torch (lightly :wink_smil) to smooth the sawn edges of plastics like Plexiglass®.

thrytis

New User
Eric
Thanks!
I'll need to try that. I have some 3/8" plexiglass but been hesitant to hack it up. Now to figure out how to center the hole...:icon_scra

Mount your router without the center hole cut. Then just use your largest bit and plunge through. If it isn't a plungeable bit (e.g. has a bearing on it), use a smaller bit to drill out a clearance and then expand with the bit.

Sully

New User
jay
FWIW I read somewhre that you can use a propane torch (lightly :wink_smil) to smooth the sawn edges of plastics like Plexiglass®.

Yes, you can. I would recommend some practice with scrap pieces first though. It can be a fine line between smoothing out the edges and setting the whole thing on fire. :elvis: DAMHIKT

J

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Mount your router without the center hole cut. Then just use your largest bit and plunge through. If it isn't a plungeable bit (e.g. has a bearing on it), use a smaller bit to drill out a clearance and then expand with the bit.

However, if you want to create a hole for PC style bushings, you could make a pointy dimple instead to use as a pilot hole for bore/counterbore with forstner bits.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I have some 1/4" plexiglass. Is this thick enough for this project?

Maybe, not sure. The Colt is not a heavy router, so minimal flex with thinner plastic.

Just don't make the jig too long and don't "lean on" router, should be ok.

Give it a try, not much material at risk.

:icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Kewl,,,, I saw the WIP but the final version is way better. Maybe Matt needs to host a mini workshop some evening or week-end. :widea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS