Bosch 1617 Adjustment

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I got a Bosch 1617 router a while back...It has the base where you can adjust the height from the top of the router table..I haven’t used this much at all. I needed to recently and tried .I can’t get the adjustment to work. Maybe someone can direct me on this. I would like to throw this base away and put a regular on it if I had one. Thanks

RickR

Rick
Senior User
Not trying to be a wise-guy but did you release the height lock (see base clamp lever in the figure)? I have that setup and it works just fine.

1585852469292.png

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’ve noticed the router body and base can sometimes get stuck in my own 1617, so I waxed the router body and that made it smooth to adjust again.

Also be careful adjusting through the table as the adjuster can break very easily (my father in law with same router broke his using above table adjustment). I’m blanking on the name of the washer that holds it together the adjustment shaft in the adjustment lever—that’s what breaks.

edit: part 70 retaining ring

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Now I am in a situation.I need something to work smoothly cause I have arthritis in my right hand . Is there another base for this router? (I havent seen one yet) Or do I just bite the bullet and buy a better router . I emailed Bosch customer service.I dont expect a reply. Mine isnt the first one with this issue..

Johnson

New User
AD
I have this router setup and have had zero issues with smooth adjustment. Sorry that you are having difficulty.

Johnson

New User
AD
Start a conversation with @Flute Maker, and see if you can help him solve the issue that he is having.

I agree that an aftermarket router lift might be the ticket. It seems that the issue is in the eye of the user. I personally haven't had any issues, but I'm sure that Flute Maker is a much more talented craftsman than I and thus likely has a more sensitive eye for quality in functionality. If the lever is locked down, the adjustment will work, but is very rough. Not to be contrite, but I would look for any broken or damaged parts that might be interfering with the adjustment mechanism. I would also ensure that the depth stop has not fallen out of place and is interfering with the adjustment.

Cbranch

New User
Cbranch
I have one at home that works smoothly. There are two where I work that don’t. The difference, I believe, is entirely due to the smooth mating parts and proper lubrication. I’d suggest rubbing the surfaces and pins with a white 3m pad or 0000 steel wool. Then clean it off and use a thin coat of Slip-it or something like that. One issue with this router upside down in a table is it collects dust between the motor and base so I clean it good every time I change a bit. I know it’s frustrating though, the ones at work drive me crazy.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Hey guys I may try what Cbranch says even though if it collects dust that easy I wouldn't like that. My Milwaukee was a work horse....I paid at least twice what I paid for this one. Thanks guys!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS