Bosch 1250 DA sander ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
After seeing good comments here on this sander I got one as a Christmas gift for myself.
When it arrived today I was surprised at how loud it is.
Is this typical? I don't have any similar tools to compare it with, just a Makita palm sander.

Hard to describe sound levels but its by far the loudest electric tool I own aside from the compressor.
I checked it in both modes and it doesn't seem to matter.

Thoughts?
Should I return it or just get more hearing protection?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can't say for sure on the decibels for your model, smallboat. I have the ROS65 and it is very quiet compared to my old 1/4 sheet sander.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Thanks all- the jury is still out.
Hopefully I'll hear from one of the members who use this model.

I have a pretty significant boat rehab project pending and was looking forward to this sander making the job less arduous.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My 1250DEVS sander is not loud in the ROS mode and the few times I've used it in the direct/polisher mode I don't remember it being any louder. Call Bosch. It's their flagship sander. You could measure the dbs with a phone app and compare it to the loudness spec they publish. It should shine up a boat pretty well. Just expect your arms to be tired and sore. It's a hoss.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Are you talking about the Bosch 1250DEVS sander? I bought one today at Klingspor in Hickory. It is definitely louder than my Makita 5" orbital sander. The motor is not all that loud, but there is what sounds like a gear noise that was louder than I had expected. I wear ear protection when using all of my sanders so I don't expect the 1250DEVS to be a problem. It is much quieter than my 3hp Oneida dust collector and nowhere near as loud as my compressor.

Pete

After seeing good comments here on this sander I got one as a Christmas gift for myself.
When it arrived today I was surprised at how loud it is.
Is this typical? I don't have any similar tools to compare it with, just a Makita palm sander.

Hard to describe sound levels but its by far the loudest electric tool I own aside from the compressor.
I checked it in both modes and it doesn't seem to matter.

Thoughts?
Should I return it or just get more hearing protection?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
pete-
That's the noise I'm hearing- almost a rattle which made me think something wasn't meshing right.
I fired it up and listened again. seems most pronounced at low speeds.
happens in either mode

guess its just a feature of this product, ear plugs it is.

thanks for chiming in

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
UPDATE-

I ended up contacting CPO Tools where I had purchased the sander and they offered a return or exchange.
As I had done more research and convinced myself that what I was hearing was normal for this sander I thanked them and said I'd keep it. We'll see how it goes.

So far so good. Put some extended time in on the boat project today and I'm very pleased. This is pretty much a paint removal process at this stage and the sander is very controllable and effective.
Dust collection with my ancient RIGID vac is excellent, though not very quiet. I'm using earplugs and its not objectionable.
I don't get any visible dust when the vac is running. I did forget to turn it on once and with the earplugs didn't notice the difference.
The visible dust quickly showed me my mistake.
I'm very pleased with this set up so far.

Abrasive Resource- I'm using sandpaper from Abrasive Resource. Thought I'd give them a try since I needed to load up with a selection of grits in a size for the sander. Again, pleased so far. Service was good, while shipping was slow. I ordered around the holidays so carriers may have been a little backed up. FWIW- I checked each box and they all contained a few more sheets than the qty on the label. Don't know if that will always be the case but it tells me they aren't pinching pennies.
These are the 6" x 6 hole pattern H&L disks. As with the sander- so far, so good. Price was more than competitive with other options.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
try the new screen type paper, works fantastic, whole sheet is ventilated, does not clog and lasts twice as long or more. Klingspor has their brand which is half the price of the others :gar-La;

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
try the new screen type paper, works fantastic, whole sheet is ventilated, does not clog and lasts twice as long or more. Klingspor has their brand which is half the price of the others :gar-La;

But I already have a boxes of 50 or 100 conventional sheets in 100, 120, 150 180, 220 and 320 grits. What do I do with those now that this great new product is out there? Guess I need to get sanding!

Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
One thing that helps is to create a vent in the vac hose connector to prevent the full suction from clamping the sander disc to the surface. The paper will not get as hot and the globs of paint won't build up as fast. Here's how I did it on mine:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture_0014.jpg
    Picture_0014.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 175

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
UPDATE-

I ended up contacting CPO Tools where I had purchased the sander and they offered a return or exchange.
As I had done more research and convinced myself that what I was hearing was normal for this sander I thanked them and said I'd keep it. We'll see how it goes.

So far so good. Put some extended time in on the boat project today and I'm very pleased. This is pretty much a paint removal process at this stage and the sander is very controllable and effective.
Dust collection with my ancient RIGID vac is excellent, though not very quiet. I'm using earplugs and its not objectionable.
I don't get any visible dust when the vac is running. I did forget to turn it on once and with the earplugs didn't notice the difference.
The visible dust quickly showed me my mistake.
I'm very pleased with this set up so far.

Abrasive Resource- I'm using sandpaper from Abrasive Resource. Thought I'd give them a try since I needed to load up with a selection of grits in a size for the sander. Again, pleased so far. Service was good, while shipping was slow. I ordered around the holidays so carriers may have been a little backed up. FWIW- I checked each box and they all contained a few more sheets than the qty on the label. Don't know if that will always be the case but it tells me they aren't pinching pennies.
These are the 6" x 6 hole pattern H&L disks. As with the sander- so far, so good. Price was more than competitive with other options.
I am assuming the AR discs are less expensive than Klingspore? (how much?)
Do you have any comparison on abrasive "life" between the two? (might be a fun comparison)

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Hank- I found them to be lower priced than Klingspor's. You can check pricing online.
I'll see how they hold up, but you may want to do your own assessment for two reasons.
1) My previous experience is limited to a 1982 vintage Makita palm sander, which I avoid as much as possible. (or sanding on the lathe which is always Klingspor brand for me)
2) Due to above I don't have experience with the Klingspor product ( in this application) to make a comparison.

I did pick up a box of 120 grit to mess with while I was waiting for the order to arrive. I can swap those in when I get to that point and see if I learn anything. Will let you know.

I am hoping that since both are suppliers to commercial accounts that they have a viable product that will work for my needs.
Not saying they are identical and I appreciate any benefits one may offer over the other, time will tell.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Klingspor has the biggest selection of sandpaper that I have seen anywhere. Their prices are good too. If you want something that they don't have on the shelf they can either find it or make if for you.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS