Bored 7 Year Old

ck1999

Chris
User
Any ideas on small projects for a bored 7 year old. This stay at home is killing him not being able to play with school friends. We have built bird houses, I built him a small tool tote for christmas. We have build most of the little building kits from lowes. I think he is too young or I am not experienced enough to let him work on the lathe. Does anyone have some simple neat projects for younger kids. I was thinking maybe a wand on the lathe but he is not into Harry Potter or things like that. Or does anyone know where to order kits online that are reasonable and fun for this age group

Any help would be great.

Chris

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check 'Make Something ' YouTube channel. He just released doing a string art project.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
OK lets get a challenge and something that will take a bit of time. I feel we are going to be in our homes for a good bit of time. I am retired and have an extensive metal working shop and a good amount of woodworking tools. My granddaughters started when the youngest one just turned 8. They ran milling machines, lathes etc. Learned to use files, and all kinds of hand tools. There is another thread that has a real neat project that has lots of smallish parts, lots of sanding. It may look daunting at first but it will occupy lots of hours and the end result really cool!

Go have a look at this thread and the pictures I posted of finished ones. Not sure where to point you for plans, but that can be part of the fun of the project with your 7 year old, getting it all together, searching the internet etc.

By the way those young ladies kept at it for many years building models in grandpa's shop, they each finished their last projects last year when they were in college and 19 and 21. They are primarily metal working projects but the point is they became very proficient machinists. . One became a chemical engineer the other is studying to become a doctor.

Bet your 7 year old could really get bit by the woodworking bug and who knows where it might lead. The two of you can have some great fun getting there.

Bob

PS here is a link to last machine one of them made, a Stirling cycle engine. https://youtu.be/TYlPWvfav4o

Mauser44

New User
John
I have bandsaw boxes on the plans for my kids. They will do the gluing up and design tracing...
And it will be my first bandsaw box too....
I have turned bird houses and tops, and had them color them.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I like the trebuchet idea. And build a block castle to knock down.

1585745632485.png

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
What about teaching him how to sharpen tools? Surely you've got a few dull blades--pocket knives, chisels, planes, draw knife, preferably something that's a straight edge. Try it for an afternoon, and if he doesn't zone out after a few hours, you can progress. If he gets pretty good at it, maybe a pocket knife would be a good reward (oops, there's the indulgent grandpa impulse again).

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Building blocks don’t have to be special. A flat side or two. Look through your scraps. Have him help. My grandchildren had a good time playing with my scrap bucket.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Coping (or band) saw some bunny rabbit profiles. Then paint.

medic

New User
john
How about making some puzzles, glue some picture to a piece of ply and let him saw it out. My grand daughter makes these all the time on the scroll saw .she just turned 8 still I keep an eye on her but she is learning,and getting better at it

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Even cutting out basic shapes and making that into a puzzle.
This is a Steve Good Pattern. Scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com
He has many super easy patterns

Attachments

• 3955F1D5-704C-4490-83B6-148A9CFF4F09.jpeg
    3955F1D5-704C-4490-83B6-148A9CFF4F09.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 120

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS