Bora track bummer

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Picked up the Bora track and guide sled. Looked great for the price until I went to use it. My use is to toss a 1 1/2 inch foam sheet on the driveway so I can size full sheets I can't handle any more. A couple 3/4 PB/melamine today. All good until I went to lock the track. The handle requires about 4 inches below the work to lock down. Bummed out, but glad It came from Amazon so will have to go back. Just used my old HF 50 inch bar.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wonder if you could add a strip of whatever Festool uses to keep the track from sliding. The strips are available and self-stick, (I have never had to change mine) I have made 100s, probably 500, cuts with a festool track and have never clamped it. Just set it down on the cut line and go - they do not slip

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought this last week and tried it for the first time Thursday:
I have 2 first generation versions of this known as the Accu-Rip, but they were everything but. The rip fence was too short, and as a result, there was no control of the rip for the last few inches of the cut when the fence exited the side and the blade was still cutting resulting in sniping. As you can see, the long fence here solves that problem. I used it with a Porter Cable left hand cut saw (it works with either) and had to modify the plate to get the saw blade guard to function properly.
I use it mostly to break down plywood for cabinet blocking in metal stud partitions to a usable and manageable size for one person on a table saw. The measuring gauge is adjustable for either right or left hand saws, but rips <1" are not recommended. So far, I've been satisfied with it, and the price, though not shown in the ad, is quite reasonable. Given the opportunity, though, I would 'rebuild' it with aluminum for some of the parts.
If a cross cut requires >24" I usually grab the clamp fence. HF fences do okay unless you're cutting thin sheets such as tempered masonite where the clamp is too loose and the sheet wants to jump in the gap.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Now that you can buy a track saw for about $200 with track, I don't understand why to try to do this other ways (Wen saw is just over $100 and two 59 inch tracks just under $100). I broke down sheets with a circular saw and home made guide for decades but I never want to go back. I am almost done with a 10 foot dining table and used my DeWalt track saw to put the glue ready edges on the six cherry boards that make up the top. The accuracy is just very different from a circular saw with guide - at least in my hands. No longer necessary to cut things down for the table saw, just make the finish cut.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Bought a track as I already had my nifty little Makita 18V circ saw. Problem was only how they made their clamp.

Only used my 4 foot HF edge guide, but have done thin sheets. As long as you are supported on a foam sheet, it has done fine. Going to continue free hand and trim on TS. Where it can let you down is if you are taking slices off the end of a sheet, you lose the factory edge and so any measure or marking error adds up.

A top notch track saw and router attachment, in reality can do about anything. I think I would pick it over even a job-site size saw. For those complaining about TS size and cost, something to consider. A TS is quicker, but for an occasional user space and funds limited, the way to go.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Picked up the Bora track and guide sled. Looked great for the price until I went to use it. My use is to toss a 1 1/2 inch foam sheet on the driveway so I can size full sheets I can't handle any more. A couple 3/4 PB/melamine today. All good until I went to lock the track. The handle requires about 4 inches below the work to lock down. Bummed out, but glad It came from Amazon so will have to go back. Just used my old HF 50 inch bar.
Just get about 3- 4 x 4s or 2 more pieces of styrofoam to get it off the driveway.....................

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Sent it back. It was a bit of a compromise on my baby Makita saw. Just pretty cheap plastic. Did not even feel like it was glass filled. Plastic can be great, or it can be cheap.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS