Bookcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Here is a bookcase I finished for my daughter this month. Matches a dresser and nightstand I built for her. Solid mahogany with the exception of the 1/4 plywood mahogany back. Got the dimensions out of a FWW article. Once I find the pictures of the nightstand that I built at the same time I will post them.:eusa_doh:

Finish is Minwax Red Mahogany oil based stain with 3 coats of Minwax oil satin polyurethane. Have been thinking of trying something different with top coating hence my interest in some of the other posts.

All constructive feedback appreciated.

Kelly Bookcase unfinished.JPG

bookcase finishing.JPG

The finish isn't as glossy as the picture looks. Actually, it is quite satin, but I am getting kind of "tired" of using oil based stain....

bkcase1.jpg

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Nice Job Travis. That will be a nice arrangement when you get it all completed.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That looks great. Good choice of grain pattern on the plywood back. I'm impressed.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, I think I like mahogany, that's really some nice looking grain and color!

I agree on the plywood, looks like it's bookmatched perfectly!

Looks solid enough to last a few lifetimes.

Chuck

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Travis, it looks like you have plenty of compressor for spraying. If you have or get spray equipment you will love the results you can get with aniline dyes. You can mix them with water or alcohol and then topcoat with water based or nitro lacquer.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
OK, you have peaked my interest. I happen to have a BINKS spray gun I bought 5 years or so ago that is in good shape. It is a high pressure gun not HVLP, so tell me what you do, how you do it, and what to avoid as I am listening.

I am a bit scared of nitro lacquer as I don't have a good place to spray, but I am game for anything else.

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice looking project. I'd also be interested in learning more about spray equipment. :mrgreen:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I use the aniline dye mixed with water and WB lacquer (Emtech Ultimate Spray Lacquer) if I'm looking to give the wood a uniform "stain". If I'm staying "natural" I'll usually spray shellac or shellac topcoated with lacquer if it requires added protection. Binks makes excellent equipment but you'll waste more finish with non HVLP than you would with HVLP. You will still get excellent results.

Aniline dyes penetrate the wood better and don't use pigments that lay one the surface. Because of this, grain looks more natural and not so "muddy". The only drawback to WB is grain raising but that is not an issue with some woods or if you spray it first with plain water, let it dry and then sand off the raised grain with 300 grit paper. This is a light sanding to simply knock off the raised fibers. Spray on your dye mixture and let that dry overnight then topcoat with lacquer. You'll want to play with it on some scrap first and maybe even make a test finishing schedule to compare with as you go along. Dye gives very even coloring but it will look like crap when it dries (flat and chalky). It will be gorgeous when the topcoat goes on but it will make you really nervous if your first use is on your project and not some test pieces.

I typically spray 3 coats of lacquer then sand smooth, vacuum off the dust and spray 1 or more additional coats to finish. I usually wait 30 minutes between coats. The biggest challenge is avoiding runs on vertical surfaces. Many light coats are much better than a few heavy ones. www.homesteadfinishing.com is my typical source for Transtint Liquid Dye, Emtech Lacquer and lots of advice. I would check to see what the tip is on your gun and confirm with Homestead that it is the correct size for dye / lacquer. They also sell a gun cleaner solution made by Fuhr that is awesome and can be used over and over again.

Travis Porter said:
OK, you have peaked my interest. I happen to have a BINKS spray gun I bought 5 years or so ago that is in good shape. It is a high pressure gun not HVLP, so tell me what you do, how you do it, and what to avoid as I am listening.

I am a bit scared of nitro lacquer as I don't have a good place to spray, but I am game for anything else.

dbvilla

New User
Dawn
I think it is gorgeous. I would love to see the other peices as well. I am still so new at this that I haven't learned about spray finishes yet. Right now there is still something special to me about hand rubbed finishes. As I advance in woodworking, (and age) I'm sure that will wear off. lol

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
dawn said:
Right now there is still something special to me about hand rubbed finishes. As I advance in woodworking, (and age) I'm sure that will wear off. lol

actually, it will rub off. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS