Bookcase is almost complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcoleman

New User
Mark
I've been working on this bookcase for our finished basement and it's almost done now except for the sanding and finishing. That's where I always have problems so I'm sure I'll be poring over the "Finishing" forums for some hints. It's Birch plywood and stain grade moulding, so my plan is to sand it all to 220, then a coat of sanding sealer and then cherry or mahogany gel stain, covered with some semi-gloss polyurethane. I've got a plan, now all I have to do is execute.

After looking at the pictures I think that big wide crown moulding might overpower the rest of it. It's a big bookcase though, 7' tall, 3 1/2' wide and 15" deep. What do you'all think?

P1000744.JPG

The base is stain grade baseboard ripped to fit the bottom.
P1000745.JPG

P1000746.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Mark

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Mark,

I think the whole thing, including the molding, looks terrific. Looks well proportioned to me. I'm looking forward to final photos.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Mark, nice book case. Should hold some reading material. I like the top molding and do not think that it over powers a project of this size. Personally I think it needs the same molding on the bottom to balance it out though. That is just my opinion and we all know what that is worth. Let me try to explain why I say this. To me it looks as if you were starting out to make a classic looking piece and when you get to the top you are more of a high end piece of furniture if that makes sense. I know that large moldings on the bottoms of large pieces can sometimes stick out into a room farther than one would like but if it isn't a problem I just personally would rather have it balanced better with the same moldings top & bottom. Steve

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I see where Steve is coming from. The smaller molding at the bottom looks a tad out of proportion. A taller molding of the same profile at the bottom may solve that.

But my tastes in fashion and decor are sometimes dubious.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Hi Marc,

I commend you for asking for opinions. It is always a scary proposition, but almost always leads to a better end product. I like your bookcase, yet I see your concern about the top molding being large compared to the bottom part of the piece. As someone suggested, you could use a taller molding at the bottom, but then you might run into the molding sticking up over the bottom shelf. Not sure how much comment you want, but since you seem to be willling to redo the molding have you thought of putting a face frame around the opening? This would give much more visual weight on the bottom of the piece without much rework. It would mean recutting the side molding to a longer piece though. You could clamp a frame on one side and see what you think of it.

Jeff

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Hi Marc,

I commend you for asking for opinions. It is always a scary proposition, but almost always leads to a better end product. I like your bookcase, yet I see your concern about the top molding being large compared to the bottom part of the piece. As someone suggested, you could use a taller molding at the bottom, but then you might run into the molding sticking up over the bottom shelf. Not sure how much comment you want, but since you seem to be willling to redo the molding have you thought of putting a face frame around the opening? This would give much more visual weight on the bottom of the piece without much rework. It would mean recutting the side molding to a longer piece though. You could clamp a frame on one side and see what you think of it.

Jeff

I was thinking the same thing about a face frame. It might make the crown molding a bit less overpowering as well as lending some extra strength to the shelves for those HEAVY books!

Looks great as it is though, I'd only change it if the top really bothers you. It might be more drammatic in person but from the pictures I think it looks pretty darn good.
Travis

cpw

New User
Charles
Mark,

Since you asked for opinions I'll throw mine in as well. I like the crown. I think it looks great on such a tall piece. I also agree with some of the others that by comparison the base molding looks small. However, it looks like the footprint of the base is somewhat smaller than the "footprint" of the crown. If I were in your shoes, I would just laminate a taller piece of molding to the existing base so that it extends downward, making the base taller, assuming you have the clearance above the bookcase where it will sit.

Suggestion.jpg

mcoleman

New User
Mark
Thanks guys! Those are all great ideas, especially the one on the face frame and additional moulding at the bottom. After much deliberation (and thinking how long it took for me to get to this point) I think I'm going to leave it "as is".

I'll post some pics once I get closer to the finished product.

Thanks again!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS