Bookcase Build: Christmas Project & Christmas Gift

Status
Not open for further replies.

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
For sometime, I had wanted to build a bookcase for my son Forrest who is an avid reader. He is a senior at Campbell University. When we asked him what he'd like for Christmas, he said he wanted He & I to build a bookcase for him. Honestly, I had not mentioned my prior idea until he brought it up. As a beginning woodworker, this would be my first ever attempt at a "furniture type piece".

We chose Red Oak as the material of choice. We purchased some 8/4 stock from Scott Smith and purchased some A1 oak veneer from Anchor Hardwoods. Thank you Scott and Heather. These folks are good people and a pleasure to deal with.

Forrest and I began the project December 26th. We now have it ready for sanding and finish. We learned a lot. We are very pleased with how it turned out.

The plan called for dowels instead of the pilasters. But after some several practice attempts (Thanks Bas) we went with the brackets.

Spending this time with one of my favorite people has been the best Christmas present for me. It's a time I'll always look reflect on fondly.

I know how ncwoodworker folks like photos so I attached some below. They were taken with my iphone so please excuse the quality.

Thanks,
Kettrell

vcm_s_kf_m160_120x160.jpgvcm_s_kf_m160_120x160.jpgRipping trim to width.jpgvcm_s_kf_m160_120x160.jpgRouting sides to receive pilaster shelving brackets.jpgAssembling side 1 & fixed shelf.jpgAttaching front fillers.jpgFinally mitered corners I like.jpgFront stiles back stiles milled from rough sawn Red Oak from Scott Smith.jpgthe owner of this piece my youngest son Forrest.jpg

Last edited:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Forrest had a great idea, the two of you building this. The final product (bookcase and father-son time) is splendid.

Ah, Forrest attends UCLA...University of Campbell, Left at Angier. :D

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That came out great, love the molding on top and the hefty look of the shelves. This one will last generations.
BTW, what is this "we" and "together" bit - I only see one person working :)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, It will serve him a long time and he will always take pride in the fact that it was a joint venture with you! :icon_thum

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Nice job :thumbs_up

And excellent family planning. I had 4 daughters; plenty of 'help', until they would reach 13!:rotflm:

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
You truly have some vision, talent, AND the skills to do some really great things, Kave! That feeling you experienced while spending time with Forrest is exactly what I was missing in NC; but now that we're back in the ARId ZONe it's all good. BTW: nice saw!
Russ

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Thanks everybody. This build was truly enjoyable. BTW Bas, I don't multi-task. I leave that to my wife who is truly a PRO at it.
And to you Russ, I'm glad things worked out for you. I have truly enjoyed that saw and I got to use the planer I bought from you in this build as well. I fully understand what you mean when you "Tool Junkie" !

I would appreciate any suggestions and advice regarding a suitable finish on this piece.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS