Book Review: Woodworkers Guide to Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Holy cow and a half.

If there was one book I'd wish I had read years ago, this is it. Of course, it wasn't written years ago, so I'm off the hook.....

I have been working my way through the defnitive work by Bruce Hadley, which is a great read. Sadly, I do not have a PHD in Woodology :-/

Rick Peters has written a book which I feel has been missing for a long time.

It is a book that explains wood to woodworkers. Hence the title?

I came away knowing what I'd say is enough to select wood, pick alternatives and understand grading systems. He gives some basic photographic examples of major and exotic woods in their natural and finished state. Foreys into plywood, engineered lumber, veneer, mills, drying and non-wood options like laminates.

For example, MDF is not sawdust like I always assumed it was. Its seperated fibers compressed with resins. He said a ~23 inch high pile of these fibers go into a 3/4" thick MDF board.

He also does not stray into things such as projects or tools. Its a focused book on how wood relates to woodworkers.

To me, one great thing I learned was how ray cells work. I've seen them, heard lots of scientific explanantions, but he put it in terms I understood. And in terms that I can use in making better projects.

Rating: 9 of 10 Biscuits
ISBN: 0-8069-3687-8

Thanks,
Jim

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Thanks for a great review, I think I'll look that book up and read it myself!!:eusa_danc I have been looking for that kind of information for a while now, this puts it all in one place.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I did a search in the Charlotte library system, they have it at several locations. I have it requested for check out when I can get to one of the libraries to get it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS