Bolection-style Moulding

Status
Not open for further replies.

lothian

New User
lothian
Bo-LEK-shun... bolection.

Bolection moulding is peculiar in that few know it by name, yet most everyone has seen it. The stuff exists in a bazillion profiles, and typically frames raised panels in furniture, cabinetry, doors, and wainscot. Its defining characteristic is a prominent round-over that stands proud of the panel plane (see profile image). Bolection moulding is an ornate detail that makes raised panels look awesome. Less attractive characteristics of bolection moulding are that it's difficult to source, and it tends to be hurty expensive.

raised panel wainscoting section 2.jpg

For my summer project I'm using Gary Striegler's method to install wainscot pretty much everywhere in my house--in fact, I've just finished my first foray: a half-bath. This project is gonna require lots (and lots) of linear feet of bolection moulding. Sourcing an attractive profile at an accessible price in the quantity I anticipate is a frustrating time hemorrhage--few shops have even heard the term "bolection". I contemplated running the stuff myself. However, lacking both a shaper and cutter-heads, that idea seems a non-starter.

back bathroom.png
(first stop: first-floor half-bath. then on around the rest of the first-floor)

Presuming someone within this forum is familiar with bolection moulding, anyone know anyone who makes and sells the stuff?

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Bo-LEK-shun... bolection.

Presuming someone within this forum is familiar with bolection moulding, anyone know anyone who makes and sells the stuff?

I am both familiar with the term and have the ability to run this moulding. I have some patterns and can custom match others. I can run most any species that I can source. I have my own six moulder and have run architectural moulding for about 30 years.

The only caveat is I'm located north of GSO near the NC VA border.

Tony Joyce

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lothian,

Glad to see you found us. It was nice to meet you at the dentist the other day. Welcome to one of the friendliest websites in the region. Glad to see you're getting more answers to your questions than I was able to provide.

Go ahead and introduce yourself in the Who we Are forum if you like. It is one of the steps to becoming DQ or Discount Qualified with several of our advertisers. It sounds like you have a good bit of woodworking ahead of you and the discounts at several vendors might be useful.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Tony Joyce and Rick DiNardo are both professional molding suppliers, members here, and all around great guys. I would trust either one to deliver top of the line molding.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Custom Woodcraft--------a moulding operation in Woodleaf NC can run any moulding you want. Tommy Owens is owner/operator of the business. The moulding you show is often referred to as panel moulding in the millwork world.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors