Bog wood

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
There was an outfit selling it. Their Raleigh outlet closed, but I think they have one in Wilmington or somewhere near the coast. Hopefully somebody here has a better memory than I do. Check the wood suppliers list for the coastal area.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm not too worried about finding any, just curious about if "bog wood" occurs around here. I know mostly they come from peat bogs but surely similar conditions could be found locally.

There aren't any peat bogs in central NC that I know of. You're in Sanford I think. An interesting question.

Abutler392

New User
alex
There aren't any peat bogs in central NC that I know of. You're in Sanford I think. An interesting question.
Yeah I am, and no I wouldn't think there are. But the anaerobic conditions that causes the staining and preservation in the wood could be found around here.

emichael

eric
User
The conditions for bog oak do exist in the piedmont, somewhat. We pulled some white oak beams out of the bottom of my great uncle's pond where they had been soaking in the muddy, stagnant water for more than fifty years. They were black from the iron and tannin reaction and the hewn surface was still sound. But the staining only penetrated less than a quarter inch. I guess they needed another couple of centuries in the muck.

Might be the sort of place to look...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS