BOD meeting needed on classified policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I would like to call a special meeting to discuss classified ad policy only. I think our policies are strict for most and lax for some. A for instance is the guy that is selling the I heart woodworking license plates. Another concern of mine is Sully. He is using the classified as sort of a business to sell his refurbished tools. Several paying advertisers have expressed concern over Sully. I would like to have this meeting sometime in the next two weeks and only discuss this issue. Another concern will be voiced only in the conference call and will not be posted here. Maybe this would be the time to start a member store. Requiring a set percentage to go to the site from each sale.

Last edited:

TracyP

Tracy
FWIIW I am not trying to be critical here. I have been presented some loopholes so to speak. Our classified ad policy deserves review so that all members understand what they can post and what they cannot. I have no beef with Sully but some very active members do have concerns that he uses the Classified ads as a way to sell and profit on his machine refurbishing. Not the intent of the classified ad program as it is currently outlined. I have asked the member with the license plate to discontinue sales until the BOD can review it. He has agreed. Please think of ways we can make the classified ad section beneficial to ALL embers and lets talk about it.

Thank You!!

M

McRabbet

Tracy -- good points made in your first and last posts -- in particular, a "Members Classified" might be a way to provide a "pay as you go" method for members like Sully to sell their wares -- we have several members that could sell, but we also need to conside our non-profit status (sales tax issue). Technically, it is the seller's responsibility, but we need to be aware of our status as well. All of us should take a look at the policy and be prepared to chime in with suggestions. I also agree with your action concerning the plate sales (maybe he could do that at the picnic).

When do you want to hold the teleconference?

TracyP

Tracy
The teleconference is best for me any time weekdays after 8:00. No matter what day. I would like the person with the tightest schedule to name the time and date. If there is a current BOD member that is limited to a particular time and or date, then this is what we should do.

cskipper

Cathy
I can participate about any day, again after 8. Do we need to check with Doug about the the non-profit status and what/how we might modify the policy?

b4man

New User
Barbara
I am guessing the member(s) that have a problem with Sully are paid advertisers? Otherwise why would they be concerned? As for the member selling license plate covers who is he in competition with and why do we care if he makes a few dollars? Is this about us not receiving monetary benefit from these sales?
I don't know how we can have any liability tax wise for what is being sold when it's not running thru our accounting. We are a vehicle like ebay and Craigs List with a much smaller audience.

I may be all wet here and if so please overlook my ignorance.:dontknow:

I can pretty much do the call any time.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Perhaps a classified cap of "x" items per calendar quarter would be in order. I can see where someone could easily reach a cap if they are selling out completely (for whatever reason) or upgrading, but in any case, I can't see it would be a hardship to ask for a supportive donation. I think that is the key phrase. Paid advertisers get more exposure, but they do pay for it.
Even so, Sully's volume doesn't show he's doing this full time, just a lucrative sideline, in which case he or anyone shouldn't be averse to contributing to the venue. He'd have to pay CL or any other ad outlet.
Just some early AM musings.

TracyP

Tracy
I am guessing the member(s) that have a problem with Sully are paid advertisers? Otherwise why would they be concerned? As for the member selling license plate covers who is he in competition with and why do we care if he makes a few dollars? Is this about us not receiving monetary benefit from these sales?
I don't know how we can have any liability tax wise for what is being sold when it's not running thru our accounting. We are a vehicle like ebay and Craigs List with a much smaller audience.

I may be all wet here and if so please overlook my ignorance.:dontknow:

I can pretty much do the call any time.

Members of the website with at least five posts may place advertisements in the Classified Section of the website. Advertisements must be placed in an appropriate category and are limited to woodworking-related items or services that are For Sale, or Wanted or are offered Free to fellow members. Advertisements may not contain links to off-site auction sites or public sales websites, but may include links to personal or reference websites related to the item in the Advertisement (e.g., manufacturer). Pictures are encouraged within the Advertisement and links to a member photo gallery on www.ncwoodworker.net or elsewhere are permitted.

Advertisement content must relate to woodworking, tools, accessories for woodworking equipment or workshop items. Lumber and wood-related products (e.g. veneers) should be posted to the Wood forum instead, not the Classifieds. Members may use the Classified Section for one-time sale of woodworking items they make, but may not market production items for profit. Advertisements for items may be renewed (bumped) twice; if an item does not sell, the originator should consider reducing price before renewing the Advertisement.

Commercial Ads or Services for Hire are not allowed in Classifieds, but certain "Special Sales" or Announcements may be placed as outlined below. Any Advertisements that do not meet these criteria may only be posted with the express permission of a Staff member (who shall be named in the Advertisement), or the Advertisement will be moderated or deleted. Classified Advertisements are for members only; guests may browse Advertisements, but do not see any Member contact information.

Commercial Postings

Commercial firms or Members wanting to place Banner or Sidebar Advertisements should use the Contact Us link for options available. For profit Members selling lumber, turning woods or other unfinished raw wood products may post a thread in the Wood Forum as long as the following criteria are met: (1) The offering is exclusively for NC Woodworker members; (2) Pricing should be lower than normal sales at their regular place of business; and (3) A discount to members and/or a nominal donation to NC Woodworker, Inc. per $100 in total sales is included in the offering. All added costs such as sales tax or shipping and handling should be clearly spelled out. "Special Sales" shall be limited to once per Commercial Member per month. No finished products may be offered. NC Woodworker, Inc. does not endorse or warrant any products offered and retains the right to remove any ads.

Commercial Members may post notice of woodworking events or classes for woodworkers in the User Announcement Forum.
Edit This Page

The red text is the key here.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Coming up, I work Tuesday August the 16th, Sunday the 21st, Tuesday the 23rd, Friday the 25th.
Other than these dates I can be available. If one of these dates works for everyone else, someone can fill me in.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'm traveling to Texas on Monday and back home on Thursday, so both of those days are out for me. This is a private school at an oil refinery, so my schedule may be a little less predictable as we have to cater to their workers' shift breaks. But we should definitely be back at the hotel by 8pm. :wconfused: So long story short, I guess Tuesday or Wednesday evening would work the best for me. Or if you wanted to hold off until the week after next, I'm here in the office all of that week. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

cskipper

Cathy
"Advertisement content must relate to woodworking, tools, accessories for woodworking equipment or workshop items. Lumber and wood-related products (e.g. veneers) should be posted to the Wood forum instead, not the Classifieds. Members may use the Classified Section for one-time sale of woodworking items they make, but may not market production items for profit. Advertisements for items may be renewed (bumped) twice; if an item does not sell, the originator should consider reducing price before renewing the Advertisement."

I have no idea what this means. The way I understand it is that I can advertise once a year for 100 baskets, but can't post more frequently for fewer items? Is that the intent?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would consider a woodworking item one made to be a chisel, wood plane, maul, froe, saw, some sort of jig, or any other device that could be used to process wood. I would consider your baskets to be a woodworking product which by definition should be advertised in the Wood Forum. Does this make sense to anyone?

cskipper

Cathy
The example of my baskets was not a good choice. My question really was meant to be general - did the definition mean that I can sell 100 woodworking widgets once, as opposed to 2 a week all year? If I am making woodworking related widgets on a large batch and small continuing basis, would they be considered production items? This says that I can't sell production items for profit. Why else would I be selling them?

Members may use the Classified Section for one-time sale of woodworking items they make, but may not market production items for profit.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
On the IAP site, they have members who routinely sell blanks etc they make/find/bought, and periodically specialty items like the pendant mandrel that one of their members came up with. Several of their members are listed in their preferred vendors. That is a bit of a specialty site but similar in some aspects.
There is often controversy over vendors with ties to the site "borrowing" ideas that members of the site developed, posted, tried to sell etc.
One member asked for and was given by several members blanks kits etc. A week later he was trying to sell some of those same things he was just given to buy things he specifically wanted.
That led to some interesting reading!
A hobby for some may be bread and butter to another, and feelings on common issues are always not seen the same way.

what does all that mean here?
People need to know that it they put it out there for sale or display, someone else may 'borrow' your idea for their profit.
The site may lose money from paid advertisers if SOME sales are free and/or not regulated the same way. When money is involved things just are different.
Members could pay to level the field.
Fine lines are everywhere. We don't want to over restrict members and what they can do, but we can't afford to lose paying vendors either.

Dennis we may need some definitions. I don't think we need a site dictionary but unless we as a board share definitions how can we answer to others? I'm agreeing with your wording, but how would someone else interpret the same thing?

As a board we need to be as consistent and fair as possible. We can't make everyone happy, but we have to determine what is best for the site.
It is difficult at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS