Boatbuilders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weldon0405

New User
Weldon
Hi everyone. I will be building a boat for my next project and was wondering if there are any other boatbuilders on the forum.

I've pretty much narrowed down the project to be built from plans by Chesapeake Light Craft (CLC). I will be building their Northeaster Dory. It is a 17 foot sail or row. I plan on starting shortly after the new year and hope to have her capable of being rowed by late Spring.

Here is a stock image from CLC's website. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450270424.817319.jpg

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I've built several boats. I think it's like eating peanuts or pretzels in a bar. You can't eat just one and you can't make just one boat. It's a slippery slope. :D

You are hereby ordered to start a work in progress thread and keep it supplied with up to date photos.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've built several boats. I think it's like eating peanuts or pretzels in a bar. You can't eat just one and you can't make just one boat. It's a slippery slope. :D

You are hereby ordered to start a work in progress thread and keep it supplied with up to date photos.
I really like work in progress threads and a WIP Boat thread would be awesome for sure.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have built a few - both stripper and ultra-lite skin-on-frame. I am gearing up to start a Northstar kayak from Laughing Loon

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I've built strip canoe and stitch and glue boats. Will be following your build. If you run into questions we'll try out best to help.

Weldon0405

New User
Weldon
I will definitely start a WIP thread as soon as I get started. I definitely look forward to getting this one going!

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Finished up my Oughtred "Arctic Tern" last year. I enjoyed building it so much that I was a bit sad when I finished; however sailing is a hoot!

IMG_0844.jpg

Jeff, some of the walnut I bought from you (a few years back) is in this boat.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Gazzer, your boat looks great! Arctic Tern is one of the designs I'd like to build. Did you start from a kit of build from scratch?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd like to see more from all you boat builders also. Another thing that's on the future project bucket list possibly.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Gazzer, your boat looks great! Arctic Tern is one of the designs I'd like to build. Did you start from a kit of build from scratch?

Bought the plans directly from the designer. I think I recall that there weren't any US kit suppliers at the time. Building from scratch was not that much more of a challenge; however a kit would certainly have saved some time. After you get in a rhythm the planking goes pretty quick.

Weldon0405

New User
Weldon
Gazzer,
That Arctic Tern is a beauty. Thanks for posting this pic. Very motivating to get moving along. This will be my first sail boat. So I am looking forward to the entire process. Including learning to actually sail.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Weldon
I think your boat of choice is sloop rigged from the photo? Gazzers rig looks gaffed. Two slightly different sailing duties especially on a broad reach. I guess that's down the road.

Regards
Dan

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Weldon
I think your boat of choice is sloop rigged from the photo? Gazzers rig looks gaffed. Two slightly different sailing duties especially on a broad reach. I guess that's down the road.

Regards
Dan

Ok, I'm not exactly a landlubber but not a sailing salt either so what are these terms and their respective sailing duties?

I'm looking forward to tuning in to the boatbuilding WIPs as well.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Ok, I'm not exactly a landlubber but not a sailing salt either so what are these terms and their respective sailing duties?

I'm looking forward to tuning in to the boatbuilding WIPs as well.

Actually, Gazzer's Arctic Tern has a lug rigged main with a yard at the top of the sail. The Northeaster is designed to be either lug rigged or have a Bermuda rig. Bermuda rigged is the common triangular sail seen on most production sailboats. The first boat I built was gaff rigged.

The gaff has jaws which ride on the mast. You can see the jaws in the next image. The sail is either laced to the mast or attached with hoops or sometimes slugs in a track. The lug rig's yard extends forward of the mast and the sail is not attached to the mast.

I think the lug rig is a nice one for these small boats. Fewer lines to tend. I liked my first boat but it had two halyards to raise the main and another for the jib and three sheets to tend when tacking which made it a bit of a handful when sailing alone. The lug has one halyard to raise the sail and one sheet. No jib to tend.

Weldon0405

New User
Weldon
Since this will be my first sailing experience, I intend to go with the lug rig. If nothing other than simplicity, it appears to me that it should suite a beginner and be fairly easy to put up and take down.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Yes, I think you'll like it.

Another option you might consider is rigging it like the Scaffie with only a yard and no boom. (I think the reason it's called a "boom" is because of the sound it makes when it hits yer brain bucket. :D ) I like it better because it's easier to deal with while sailing. You do need a rope traveler for the main sheet but that's easy to rig.

This boat belongs to a friend of mine. That's me at the tiller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors