Block Plane Care (aka rust reduction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
About a month ago, the local Woodcraft salesman talked me into buying a new Lie-Nielsen block plane. It was one of those *rare* times when I knew I was spending more money than I was *allowed*. Not sure if anyone here has ever done that with tools (haha), but I felt so guilty for buying it...until I used it for the first time. I had never used a hand plane before and it sliced cherry ribbons so effortlessly, I now have a new favorite tool. (My four year old daughter glued the shavings to a picture she drew for hair) I wrapped it back up in the packaging it came in and I went to bed.

The next day, I came out and there was a lot of rust in the perfect shape of my fingers where I held it. Obviously, the oils on my hand are bad. But I was suddenly worried that I have spent all this money on a nice plane and it is just going to get ruined with rust. So, I did a little reading and went back to woodcraft, where they sold me some Camelia oil. I took 400 grit paper out and tried to sand most of the rust off. Then I sprayed it with the oil.

I try to rub the oil off each time I use it and I always package it back into the special paper that it came in, but it continues to get rusty...completely rusty in a very short time. I have had to sand the rust off 3 times in the last month.

I'm just wondering if this is what everyone does for their planes? I expect this to last a very very long time, but I'm doubting it will at this rate. Any suggestions that will allow me to enjoy woodworking and stop stressing over this thing!?! :) tia...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, I have never had that problem with my planes, but then I have never owned one as fine as a Lie-Neilson. I have heard of people with a personal pH that causes rust more than normal. What are your shop conditions? You might consider contacting Rob at Lie-Neilson and asking him what is going on. He is easy to contact. I believe he is a Woodnet member. Is it a Bronze plane or Iron? There are so many factors involved, it's hard to pin point the problem. Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
It is an iron plane...I went as cheap as possible with them :) The only thing I can say is that I keep it in my 10x16 shed...which is where my workshop is. Perhaps it's extra humid out there or something, but I expect there are many people with a similar small shop. My other tools out there seem to be fairing pretty well. I can see light rust here or there, but mostly they're fine.

I will try to contact Rob. Thanks for the advice....

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Try Topcoat, Biosheild, or regular old paste wax, it might help. Also I have found that a de-humidifier works wonders in my buried basement shop. Dave:)

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Even the kids in the VBS class was amazed about the shavings that they collected them for "souvenior".

You should be able to find Johnson's Paste Wax from either Walmart
or Lowes. Clean the plane, apply the wax, wait ~10 minutes, buff off
the wax.

HTH.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
wsd1089 - a dehumidifier probably costs less than your LN plane:lol: You don't explain purchases, you purchase and then beg for forgiveness. You might also consider the little descant pouches that are often packed with things shipped. They are like mini-dehumidifiers, and you could keep a few with your plane when you store it. You might be able to buy things like that at the BORG, vs trying to collect a few which wouldn't help your current situation. Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
DaveO is right on. Do a froogle.com search for "desiccant". That's the technical term for the little moisture adsorbing packets. You can buy it in bulk containers or in assorted sized packets.
These are full of a material that's hygroscopic - meaning it adsorbs moisture out of the air. It's also often coated with some sort of metal (often cobalt) that changes color when it complexes with water telling you that it's spent. Most desiccants can be recharged by drying them above the boiling point of water.
For obvious reasons, it's critical with desiccants that you keep them in an air tight container. I'd say to get a cheap rubbermaid container big enough to hold your plane(s) and seal them in along with some desiccant. I'd also make sure that the desiccant doesn't come in physical contact with the planes. I'm not 100% positive, but the desiccants may be a salt that would promote rust - don't quote me on that though. Yes, I'm a chemistry geek.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Man..this was a great response to my question. Thanks to all who responded! I'm just suprised to hear that nobody else is really having the same problem. This was very helpful, though.

I am going to try the plastic bins....I would just keep things in the house, but (1) that's why I was allowed to build the shed and (2) I would end up toting a huge bag out there each time I went. I'm currently struggling with how to handle my glues and finishes...I'm sure they won't go through the winter very well out there.

Anyway...thanks again..and Chris, you must not be too much of a chemistry geek if you cannot identify salt...haha..j/k (I was going to write nacl, but I'm not even sure if that is right...I know very little chemistry):-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS