BLO question ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am using BLO to enhance the curly figure of the Maple in my recipe box. Would another application of it continue to "pop" the grain, or is it a waste of time? I noticed when I got home today that the figure isn't as pronounced as it was last night, after I first applied the BLO??? I really appreciate any advice on this matter. Thanks in advance, Dave:)

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
DaveO, it's killing me. i know this one, really. but i can't for the life of me remember. how many applications of oil have you put on, and what kind of drying time in between coats? i usually follow up oil (watco in my case) with wax, carefully watching for the moment the solvent flashes off then buffing with clean lint free cloths, usually the nearest t-shirt. i use renaissance wax or mylands wax, the renaissance is totally clear, hard, and expensive, the mylands a more traditional paste wax but with fewer harsh chemicals than most. try a test panel with wax after oil and see if that is close to what you want.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Phillip, I have just applied on "coat" of BLO, slop it one with a foam brush, wait a little while and wipe off. The dry time has been about 20 hours. I haven't decided if I want to shellac, poly or just wax yet. It's a prototype, so this is practicing my finish schedule. Thanks, Dave:)

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
DaveO, i found the article i remembered had the answer to your question on Taunton Press' website. it's called 'Pop the Curl in Curly Maple' by jeff jewitt. it's in the april 99 issue, you can buy it on the website for $3.50 (the one article only). hope that helps, sorry i don't have more info.

phil

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dave,

Don't know diddly about finishing, but I do remember a lengthy thread David Gillie posted on Woodnet not too long ago. I certainly have mixed feelings about many of his postings--but he does know finishing. So, take a peek at FINISHING

Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks, I've read a lot of that thread, unfortunately nowhere in all the egotistical BS did I find anything about multiple BLO applications, although I did find out what arses some of those guys are. I appreciate the effort, Thanks, Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
DaveO said:
Thanks, I've read a lot of that thread, unfortunately nowhere in all the egotistical BS did I find anything about multiple BLO applications, although I did find out what arses some of those guys are. I appreciate the effort, Thanks, Dave:)

Hehe, appreciate your "straight-forward" analysis and couldn't agree more! :eusa_clap

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS