BLO finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
I made this little desk top pen holder out of Amboyna Burl and I'm thinking about putting BLO on it.I would also like to maybe put some pre-cat lacquer over the oil.If that does not work what would go over the BLO and hold up? I have only used BLO with the ca glue finish and really like how the blo looks.Im just not sure how it would hold up on its own.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Just about any finish will go over the top of BLO, once fully cured. Personally I think of BLO as a wood colorant, and not a complete finish. It definitely enhances the grain and color of wood, but offers little in the way of protection.
Most oil-based finishes are also going to have the same coloration effect as just straight BLO due to their oil content. I am a big fan of a quick wipe down with BLO, and bit of curing time (until the smell goes away) and then top coating with either Lacquer, Shellac, or Varnish.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am with Dave, I think of BLO as a colorant. For your project shellac as a topcoat would be very good IMO.

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
Thanks for the help guys!I guess I will spray a little bit of lacquer over the BLO and be done with it.Ill post the picks when its done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS