BLO curing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Silly question of the day. :icon_scra I'll spare the gory details but due to conditions beyond my control a Christmas project was delayed and now it is crunch time.:confused_ I had intended to use a BLO finish sealed with brushing lacquer and it is my understanding that the BLO needs to be fully cured before lacquer application. Can I speed polymerization with a judicious application of heat (heat gun) ? This is a small weather station so we are not talking about a huge mass of wood to heat up. Thanks :wsmile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
When I turn pens I apply BLO first then turn the lathe up to high speed and with a small cloth burnish the BLO into the pen (creating a lot of heat) then I move right to my CA finish. I don't know if that answers your question about a Lacquer finish as BLO is often used in conjunction with a CA finish :dontknow:

You will probably get the same coloring effect using a blond shellac as you would with the BLO and have a much faster dry time.

Dave:)

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Curing of BLO (polymerization really) is a function of oxygen mixing with the linseed oil. Heating is generally not very effective in speeding up the process.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
From my limited experince laying the work in direct sunlight for a couple hours seems to speed up the drying process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS