BLO and Poly

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
Perhaps this is too simple a question for most folks but I've only started using BLO.

Can BLO be topped with polyurethane finishes. I'm using the BLO to "pop" the grain, and now want to put a gloss poly over it.

Any problems doing so?

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
YES, BLO is often a component in oil based Polyurethanes. You can definitely topcoat BLO with poly, just make sure that it has fully cured before doing so. Wait until you can't smell it any more, often about 3-4 days.
Dave:)

JRD

New User
Jim
OK, but what about a water based poly over a cured BLO?

Does BLO ever cure to the point where oil and water do mix?

Jim

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Perhaps this is too simple a question for most folks but I've only started using BLO.

Can BLO be topped with polyurethane finishes. I'm using the BLO to "pop" the grain, and now want to put a gloss poly over it.

Any problems doing so?

Jim

Jim-----------I use a mixture of BLO, MS, and oil base urethane. It is a 1/3---1/3----1/3 mixture. The MS thins things down for better penetration. Wipe it on and wipe off the excess before it gets tacky. Let it set for 24 hours, lightly sand (220 or higher grit) put on another coat. Keep repeating that cycle until you see the depth of finish you want. I usually get it with 3 to 4 coats.

It works for me.

Jerry

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Never tried it, but I have done several projects with the mix Jerry described. In theory, a water-based finish over oil should work, just like you can put a latex top coat over an oil-based primer. I have used oil-based stains on oak and pine, and then used a water-based poly for the finish, but stain and BLO is not really comparable.

I suggest trying it out on a piece of scrap.

BTW, I've also applied BLO (thinned) on by itself, then topped with the oil-base poly. There doesn't appear to any difference compared to using the mix, although with the mix the result looks more even and smoother.

Bas.

M

McRabbet

John - You need to check out the North Carolina Woodworker Lexicon whenever you run across abbreviations that crop up on the site. It's under the NC WW Info on the Main Menu Bar or the Sliding Menu. HTH....

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK, but what about a water based poly over a cured BLO?

Does BLO ever cure to the point where oil and water do mix?

Jim

It better, that is a finish schedule I am planning on using very soon. I have asked that question to many folks and all have told me that an oil-based finish (BLO, stain, etc.) once cured is just fine with a water-based poly topcoat.
Also the manufactures of the water-based poly formulations say that it is a fine combination.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS