Corporate Member
E7154045-2EDB-4DE4-B767-CF9FE1723553.jpeg

more to follow, later

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
OK, I’ll try this again. It didn’t want to cooperate this morning.
I had some time last evening to do some of the last chisel work and dry fit the joints. Finish milling the bottom and fit everything together.
1EE9ECDA-AF11-48A5-A7B3-BD382A977E9F.jpeg

B20A46F2-CDA8-4477-B27A-38E31F689934.jpeg

C099A3FE-5EA3-4202-BB1C-05ACEE27C7C1.jpeg

2A86337B-0891-4D2E-BBAC-0E3DEACD6AFD.jpeg

a little bit more fussing and it’ll be ready for a glue up! More to come later :cool:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It would be nice to zoom in on the pictures but I can't do it. My old eyes have trouble seeing any of the details in your pics.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Very intriguing. Why didn't you want to expose the dovetails? Now it looks like a rabbet joint.

Roy G

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Very intriguing. Why didn't you want to expose the dovetails? Now it looks like a rabbet joint.

Roy G

How did you see the fine details? I couldn't zoom in on the pics and couldn't see the details. Johnny R has a separate thread this morning with the same questions.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
In his first post, you can see how the dovetails and pins are not carried out to the ends of the boards, leaving a lip. When the joint is assemble, the Lip on one piece will overlap the end of the other piece. This is similar to the blind mitered dovetail without the miter.

Roy G

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
When using a phone or tablet to view thre site, you can pinch thr screen to zoom in & out. On desktop/ laptop, you can select View from the menu then select the zoom options.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Alright guys, the joint presents as a miter when finished. And this type of joint was used a lot in many period pieces. You always have to remember that exposed celebrated dovetails and some joints are a 20th and a 21st century thing. So what I’m doing here is, I’m getting the strength of the dovetail and the clean look of the miter.
Jeff, I’m sorry you are going blind, sage advise eat lots of carrots. :p

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... On desktop/ laptop, you can select View from the menu then select the zoom options.
Ok, please do reveal just a little bit more detail Neal.
"select View from the menu" Select View in which menu? I don't see that option (but I also haven't been through every menu!).

Thanks (I can work with a computer, until I can't...)

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok, please do reveal just a little bit more detail Neal.
"select View from the menu" Select View in which menu? I don't see that option (but I also haven't been through every menu!).

Thanks (I can work with a computer, until I can't...)
That would be View in your browser.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
When using a phone or tablet to view thre site, you can pinch thr screen to zoom in & out. On desktop/ laptop, you can select View from the menu then select the zoom options.
Using Firefox, kind of a pain to ctrl/+++ then --- the whole page rather than click on the pic. Also, some posts have multiple pictures that show as a slideshow and others that you have to click one by one. I like the option to just click and see it full screen. BTW, could you move this part of the conversation over to my post of the question?

Thanks, John

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Using Firefox, kind of a pain to ctrl/+++ then --- the whole page rather than click on the pic. Also, some posts have multiple pictures that show as a slideshow and others that you have to click one by one. I like the option to just click and see it full screen (for example my thread "chaos..."). BTW, could you move this part of the conversation over to my post of the question?

Thanks, John

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I offered one option, never said it would be a good option for everyone.

For what it's worth, I have a hard time getting the pictures to show consistently myself (look at the official raffle prize list), and pasted each image identically.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Getting close to glue up!
5A38B07A-E140-4A46-9ADD-226943A1F564.jpeg

91FCAC49-30E1-4FA2-84E7-F4DE4B14FE04.jpeg

3370199A-55DD-460D-9F85-8C9B997C440E.jpeg

and I increased the size for those tired old eyes.:cool:

Last edited:

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Alright guys, the joint presents as a miter when finished. And this type of joint was used a lot in many period pieces. You always have to remember that exposed celebrated dovetails and some joints are a 20th and a 21st century thing. So what I’m doing here is, I’m getting the strength of the dovetail and the clean look of the miter.
Jeff, I’m sorry you are going blind, sage advise eat lots of carrots. :p

Richard, that’s quite the joint there, that I have never had the pleasure of attempting (yet). A better description for the joint is it’s alias , the secret dovetail joint. Congratulations

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Richard, that’s quite the joint there, that I have never had the pleasure of attempting (yet). A better description for the joint is it’s alias , the secret dovetail joint. Congratulations
Thanks, I’ve heard it called both a full blind dovetail and or the secret dovetail. I call it a full bind dovetail based on the person I learned how to do this from. If he were alive he’d probably say “there ain't no secret“ myself, I’ve never seen the term secret dovetail in any period writing but I haven’t read but a few, I should read more. I haven’t completely mastered this one and I hope to improve from here. I have several pieces coming up soon that will employ this joint.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Thanks for the larger pics Richard. What's the red paint for? It looks like you left room on the bottom for expansion but I can't see (with these tired old eyes) if there's room in the dado for expansion - just checkn' - don't be too insulted.;)

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The red paint is there just for a little flash of color. There is a little space around the parameter to see it. It’s the bottom of the case but said what the heck it’s my case have some fun.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS