Blank Requirements for Turning

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Gene mentioned vases. Maybe 10 years ago I did the hollow-forms and found after I finished the piece I could soak the bottom with CA glue and didn't have any splits. I had included the pith in the piece, so i was surprised I didn't get any splits. I looked at a couple I still have and they are still crack free. One was in honey locust and another was in soft maple.

Roy G

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
The next phase of this bowl project has morphed into cookies. I have been cutting them on my sawmill for weeks and have about 900. Yes 900 - no decimal. 90% of them are between 3 and 5 inches diameter and will end up (I hope) as coasters with the church logo on them. The remainder are up to about 15" and their fate awaits how well the dry w/o cracks. The large quantity of small ones ( <6") so far have no cracks. I cut about 500 of them 0.42" thick (1/2 minus kerf) and many of them cupped when dry. That will present a problem when sanding - they may end up about 1/4" thick which may make them fragile. So, I cut about 350 more 0.72" thick (3/4 minus kerf) in hopes of ending up with a sanded product about 3/8" thick.

Now for the sanding :(. I was hoping to rent a drum sander and get a few people together to form a team to pass a batch through the sander, receive on the other end, flip, and pass back for the 2nd pass through and repeat as necessary. But, googling drum sanders for rent yielded only floor sanders. Does anyone know of such a rental store? or finishing shop? There used to be Garland Woodcraft in Durham but it changed hands and was bought out.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Bob, I'm in Chapel Hill and I'd love to do some turning for you. We can negotiate the price as I'm extremely reasonable! Maybe I turn some for you and in return I get to keep some pieces of the wood? I also have a drum sander! But I do still work a 40 hour a week job so I only work in my shop on the weekends.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
When I was in the Raleigh turning group, they had access to the Henry Clay oak wood. We would get pieces of the wood and turn something that would be given to the Raleigh Historical Society for them to sell. Pens were a big item, along with acorn boxes since it was after all an oak. I did manage to get enough bits and pieces to make a three-legged stool about 11 or 12" in diameter with the legs about 12" or so long. With ash maybe some turner will make some baseball bats for you.

Roy G

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Michael,
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I am waiting to hear if the church will pay CHWT for more turning. I'm assuming not as of now in which case there will be extra blank material. I will get back to you soon.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS