Blade recommendation for 12" CMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My original Dewalt blade on my CMS must be getting dull, I am starting to get splintering on the back side of whatever I cut with it. I used it for about 3 years, and it one of the most used saws in my shop. I am thinking of replacing it, with a better blade. Anyone have a personal recommendations for a good blade for mainly hardwood, but occasionally plywood also. I do a lot of miter cut with it, and just general cut off work. Thanks, for your thoughts. Dave:)

M

McRabbet

DaveO: Even before our Freud rep gets in there with an answer, I can vouch for the thin-kerf blades that Freud makes -- and you can get them at Lowes at a fair price (I know they stock 10" in most stores and I believe 12" as well). I have a thin-kerf 7-1/2" one on my skilsaw that I use for doing pre-cuts of sheet stock on my lumber rack and it cuts very true. I even cut all of the birch veneer-core plywood for an entire roll-around shop workbox cabinet* with my skilsaw using that blade and had no tearout. I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with one of these, expecially at the price. :saw:
* German Workbox from Popular Woodworking; plans available free on www.popwood.com

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Freud blades are excellent but I would be curious to know if thin kerf at 12" would run the risk of deflection on a CMS. I have a Forrest blade on my 12" CMS and have been very pleased with it.

Junquecol recommended this in another post but I have no experience with them. The prices look pretty attractive though:

If you don't have a GOOD Blade for your saw, I suggest that you go to Woodnet.net and look in the classified for a post by Xcesstooling for Lietz and Delta blades. There are some great bargins to be had-less than the cost of sharpening locally.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I use a thin kerf combo Freud blade on my TS, along with the Glue-line rip blade and both are awesome. I also use the Diablo thin-kerf in my circ. saw. But I would think that I would be better off with a full kerf on the CMS. That is what is on there now and sometimes when cutting through thick stock I feel that I do sometimes get a slight bit of deflection. I'm sure it would be more of a prob. with a thin kerf. Dave:)

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Dave,

I have the Dewalt 706, and use this blade:
http://routerbitworld.com/product_info.php/products_id/20489

and I bought it from routerbit world(the link I posted) they're store is way up North, BUT when you order a Freud item, they have it shipped from the Freud warehouse in High Point, and only $1 shipping. I ordered one day, and got it the next day.

But, you might want to check Klingspor, they had one the last time I was in there.

EDIT:
It is a FULL KERF BLADE.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have a DW 705, that looks like a sweet blade and I am all for supporting the local businesses (Freud), but I am unsure about the 1" arbor. Is that standard for 12" CMS, I will have to dig out my owners manual and look or pull off the blade to see. Any cheaper recommendations?????:oops: :oops: :oops:

Dave:)

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
DaveO said:
I have a DW 705, that looks like a sweet blade and I am all for supporting the local businesses (Freud), but I am unsure about the 1" arbor. Is that standard for 12" CMS, I will have to dig out my owners manual and look or pull off the blade to see. Any cheaper recommendations?????:oops: :oops: :oops:

Dave,

The Dewalt has a 5/8" arbor, BUT there blades have 1" arbors, and you will find that your current blade has a bushing with it. Just use it with the Freud blade.

I bought my blade from them on sale, I think it was $95.

Personally, the Lowes/Home Depot blades are OK, you will be hard pressed to beat a Full Kerf blade w/ thick carbide.

Just look around, and maybe you will find it on sale.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
$95 is better than $115, thanks for the info on the arbor, I thought 1" sounded large. Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
1" is pretty common at 12", probably an offshoot of the 12" commercial table saws. My PC CMS has a 1" arbor so I'm sure the Deltas do also.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Come on DaveO.......lets think about this a little. Seeing how it is the Christmas season! Just tell the LOYL that the blade on your 12" CMS is wore out and you need a to get a new CMS which will come with a nice, new, sharp blade capable of completing a whole bunch of those little projects she wants you to build.:lol:

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:rotflm: The LOML's father is a very accomplished woodworker, and all gifts she give me are run past him. Which results in her giving me good tools, but also weeds out my bullship. Now, asking for the blade is another idea worth thinking about, except I am sure she has bought all my Xmas presents already...she ain't a guy who waits 'till Dec. 20th to think about gifts. Dave:)

Charles M

New User
Charles
Dave,

I posted a reply this morning but it doesn't seem like it went through.

The LU85R012 (96T) is our best full kerf blade and leaves a polished edge. The next best full kerf is the LU73M012 (72T). This one is more versatile because it will also cut thicker stock. It sounds as though your concern over deflection is based on the stock blades performance. Our TK blades have extremely still plates so this shouldn't be an issue unless you are trying to bevel in material thicker than the blade was intended to be used in. The LU74R012 (96T) is an excellent TK CMS blade.

All of the DeWalt 12" saws that I am familiar with have 5/8" arbors and include a bushing to 1".

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks, Charles, as usual your advice is right on the money. I do have one question for you. Why does Freud have to have such confusing blade numbers? How about Fine Crosscut, General Purpose Crosscut, simple names. I am sure those number have a meaning, but they make me dizzy trying to remember them. That won't stop me from buying Freud products because I have always been very happy with their performance. Thanks, Dave:)

Charles M

New User
Charles
Sorry about the numbers.

LU85R012 = "Ultimate Crosscut"
LU73M012 = "Cabinetmaker's Blade"
LU74R012 = "Thin Kerf Crosscut".

:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Charles, that make so much more sense to me, thanks

Mike, don't you know that if you buy gifts before the 20th of Dec. you ain't a real man:lol: Come on, I've been to the mall on the 23rd, it's a full blown sausage fest.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Just as an alternative, you might try xcesstooling on Wnet. Don't know if he has any 12" but all the 10" I have bought from him are as good as anything I have ever used. I personally bought a Forrest chopmaster for my Dewalt DBCMS and it makes the saw really sing. Just my .02.

Mike

P

PrplHrtJarHead

DaveO said:
Mike, don't you know that if you buy gifts before the 20th of Dec. you ain't a real man:lol: Come on, I've been to the mall on the 23rd, it's a full blown sausage fest.

Oh yeah that...I am the guy they leave the stores open for on Dec 24th!:-D In fact, I am the guy those poor women cashiers go home and b*#ch
about :evil:

Thank God I am married now. My wife does all the shopping, since that really is a women's hobby, (unless of course it is shopping for tools, cars home theater stuff and guns, that is unabashedly man's territorial domain).:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mshel, does Xcesstooling sell new blades or just refurbish old ones? I am a little confused on that issue. Several people have recommended them before. Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
DaveO said:
Mshel, does Xcesstooling sell new blades or just refurbish old ones? I am a little confused on that issue. Several people have recommended them before. Dave:)

Dave,

All blades are new. And you can't beat the price. Even if the don't have any 12", you ought to try one of the 10" 40t for your table saw. I have purchased the following:

1 40t
1 50t combo
1 60 t crosscut for radial saw
2 24 t rip blades

All but the two rip blades were made for Irwin in Germany and the two rip blades are Leitz brand.

Very good quality for the price.

IMHO, you can't go wrong.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS