Black Walnut....Woohoooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
So, about four years ago I promised to make my wife a bed out of black walnut... but we being poor have been putting that off until we can afford to buy walnut stock that is big enough for a king bed.

anywho, I just scored about 300bf of 5/4 black walnut all from one tree, in boards that average 12" wide x 100" long. It has been drying/seasoning for 10 years and it looks beautiful. Best part is that I got it for peanuts... Just picked it up today and got it in the shop a few hours ago :) bed plans are being drawn very soon!

Dragon

New User
David
+1 to what Jeff said about the safety precautions. I'd never heard of it being hazardous until I signed up here. Last year I sanded a bunch on a couple logs I had and blew chocolate crap out of my lungs and nose for days afterwards. Not good. Congrats on the score. Sounds like some really nice wood. Post up some pics when you can, I'd love to at least drool on the keyboard while I'm envying you.:tongue2:

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Hey Dave,

Cool Find!

Small note of caution - be sure when you build it that the headboard will actually fit up the stairs. The one I built was fractions of an inch from having to be taken apart and redone.

Have fun!

David

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
Thanks for the safety notes and the tips about the headboard guys! I don't do anything in the shop w/out a respirator on... and I'll be sure to check, and double check all of my dimensions for the bed components... thanks everybody

Dave

sjack

New User
jack
Love black walnut!!
What is up with all this talk about breathing this sawdust. Never bothered me.
I know, I know. But I do love the look of this wood.

M

McRabbet

Jack and others -- please be cautious when working with Black Walnut, particularly when sawing, sanding or even planing. It is toxic and will do real damage to your lungs. I met a fine woodworker back when I lived in Durham that made beautiful reproduction furniture using walnut and he did not use any dust collection or personal protection mask when he worked. He died a miserable death from chronic lung disease (he was a non-smoker). It simply is not worth the risk when it is well documented that it is cumulative.

I recommend using a face respirator and OSHA approved filters such as this one I use from Grizzly. They are not expensive and they will provide excellent protection for the only set of lungs one has.

richlife

New User
Rich
Ok, Jeff. You got most of the message -- did you get it all? Thanks to both you and Rob, but now YOU need to pay real attention to what Rob said (if you haven't already). Get yourself to a doctor, have the allergy evaluated and look into what you can do now that you've had this extreme exposure to forestall the very probable result down the road. Just because you stopped breathing in black walnut doesn't fix your lungs or address the allergy.

For several reasons going back to my teens, I have recurring respiratory problems. I only have to breathe a little black walnut dust (trust me, I use the respirators faithfully) to set off an acute asthma attack. The asthma problem has put me in the emergency room more than once (though not from black walnut).

I'm not wanting to be heavy handed, Jeff. It's just that this stuff really scares me. Lung failure is not a pleasant way to die -- one of the worst. We all need to take whatever precautions we can to avoid black walnut dust and to do our best to overcome any exposure we've had.

And CoolHandLuke, you lucky dog you. Congrats! Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS