Black Walnut Root Ball piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Walnut Root ball wood is not easy to come by, as no one wants to go to the trouble of digging up the stump, cleaning it, then drying it for a looooooong time. I managed to get hold of a little bit of it, and here is a toothpick holder I made from it. (p.s. it is worth the effort!). Before I put the finish on it, the lighter variegated areas were a cream color. Polished to 2000 grit. 7/8" hole down the top, done with a forsner bit, then flared out.

Dave Peterson

WalnutRootBall1.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
You're right, Dave, it definitely looks worth the effort to find some. Beautiful piece of wood! What finish did you put on it?

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
You're right, Dave, it definitely looks worth the effort to find some. Beautiful piece of wood! What finish did you put on it?

The bottle is down in the shop....forget the name. It is a shellac/wax combination in liquid form. You wipe it on, turn on the lathe to a high speed, and then press a cotton cloth against it. The friction polishes and sets the finish and you are done in about 15 seconds. Only one coat needed.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
great little piece - sometimes we can forget that small is good too - (especially with expensive or figured wood).
I'd forgotten I was given some manzanita root scrap many years ago. My son helped me make him a slide for a scout neckerchief out of part of it. His scoutmaster went ape over it, so one more fell out of it. Still got the rest somewhere. Might be time to look for it.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
This illustrates why root wood is favored for gunstocks. The best arrangement is for the butt (the part against your shoulder) to be highly figured with the part that holds the action made of straight grained wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS