Black Walnut needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi folks,

I thought I had enough of Kyles great black walnut for another rocker but I'm short by about 20 BF of 8/4.
The best color/quality of black walnut I ever got was some air-dried 8/4 boards I got from Kyle last year. The wood was almost purple it was so dark.:icon_thum
So I'm looking for some of the same..or close. The commercial suppliers all steam their walnut and the color is terrible.
I also need about 25 BF of 4/4 of the same kind of walnut for another project.

Any suggestions, or offers greatly appreciated.

Don

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
You can try Kevin Everett out east in Region 5- see North Carolina Woodworker sawyers or wood suppliers list. He has a lot of air dried Walnut, not sure about 8/4. Maybe a bit far for you to go however. It will likely cost you the same as local- his lower prices will likely pay for your gas!

Call Kevin on weekends or weekday nights-he has a day job.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Don:

I have some black walnut. I will go out and check if it is thick enough. I think it is mostly 6/4. I also do not know if it is "purple" like you want. I have promised some of it to yellowfins. But I probably have enough for both of you.

Doug

J

jeff...

I know a guy who has the prettiest diving board of 8/4 BW I've seen yet, but I doubt you'll be able to talk him out of it, I think it's around 20 BF or so. DaveO what do you say?

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I know a guy who has the prettiest diving board of 8/4 BW I've seen yet, but I doubt you'll be able to talk him out of it, I think it's around 20 BF or so. DaveO what do you say?

Thanks

That's for my wife's bed (she lets me sleep in it sometimes) I would have to answer to her if I got rid of it :slap:
Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
try eastwake hardwoods. Roger had some real nice stuff a while back that was air dried and realy dark. not sure what thicknesses he had. we also get a discount from EWH.:icon_thum the price was good.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don:

I have some black walnut. I will go out and check if it is thick enough. I think it is mostly 6/4. I also do not know if it is "purple" like you want. I have promised some of it to yellowfins. But I probably have enough for both of you.

Doug

Doug,

Actually for the other project 6/4 would be OK. I need to make some Shaker style tapered legs (1 1/2 to 7/8) and it might squeek through. The table apron would be 4/4, but it's not very big so it wouldn't be a huge waste.

Check if you have anything heavier...if it's air dried the color is probably fine. THanks for getting back to me.:eusa_danc

Don

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Don:

I may have what you need. I have at least 6 boards of air dried Black Walnut that I bought from Jeff that are at least 8/4 (rough sawn). They are:

2 3/8" x 6" x 8' [9.5 bdf]
2 1/8" x 6.5" x 8' [9.2 bdf]
2 1/8" x 6' x 8' [8.5 bdf]
2" x 8" x 8' (2 boards) [21 bdf]
2" x 7 3/4" x 6' [7.75 bdf]

I also have:

1 7/8" x 6.5" x 8'
1 3/4" x 6" x 8'
1 7/8" x 6" x 6'

Bear in mind that I promised some to Yellowfins.

Doug

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Doug and Don....
I could use the :
1 7/8" x 6.5" x 8'
1 3/4" x 6" x 8'
1 7/8" x 6" x 6'
That let me finish the project I have going.

Let me know if that will work out.
Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS