Black Walnut Hope Chest for my neice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have completed a black walnut hope chest that I built for my niece Sophia. She is a little over one year old. Hopefully this will be something that she can use her entire life.

Rough cut black walnut for the case sides and base.

IMG_4640.jpg

The walnut after it is planed down.
IMG_7878.jpg

Glue up of one of the sides.
IMG_7889.jpg

Four panels squared up.
IMG_7904.jpg

I had to build a stand to elevate my dovetail jig so that the long panels wouldn't hit the floor. I had to stand on a stool to route them.
IMG_7927.jpg

Tapping together the last piece of the case. It fit very well.
IMG_7936.jpg

I used a router to flush up the joint. This was the first time I have done this operation and the first time I have made a base for my router.
IMG_8000.jpg IMG_7994.jpg IMG_7995.jpg

Templates for the base. I used a french curve to try and get something that was pleasing.
IMG_8005.jpg

I used the template to draw a line, removed most of the bulk on the bandsaw and then used a pattern bit on the router table. I had to use a chesel to get into the corner.
IMG_8007.jpg IMG_8012.jpg IMG_8013.jpg

I saw this trick for clamping miters on Rough Cut. I glued angled blocks to the base and clamped across the miter. Knock the blocks off with a hammer and plane/sand when done.
IMG_8014.jpg

This seemed to work very well. I then glued some support blocks to the base to hold the case bottom and screwed a piece of plywood onto the blocks to make the bottom.
IMG_8019.jpg IMG_8032.jpg IMG_8033.jpg

I decided to finish the bottom and case before attaching them. This is the first time I have done any pre-finishing. This was also my first time playing with HVLP. I sprayed amber shellac. I need some more practice spraying. I have also learned that spraying in direct sunlight on a hot day is not a good idea. I eventually fell back to something that I am more familiar/comfortable with and ended up wiping on the last coats of thinned shellac. Maybe 10-20 coats of ~0.25# cut.
IMG_8060.jpg IMG_8063.jpg

Lid glue up.
IMG_8046.jpg

There were a few surface imperfections so I decided to use some curly maple butterflies/dutchmen. This was my first time doing any kind of inlay. It was pretty easy with an inlay kit for my router. I made the template myself out of some scrap MDF. I made a few practice butterflies then batched out the butterflies on the lid (2 on the lid bottom and 3 on the lid top). The practice butterflies fit perfectly, but the ones for the lid didn't fit as well. The butterflies were just a tad too big. I think the MDF template started to wear from the bearing pressing against it and changed the dimensions slightly. Against my better judgement, I got a scrap piece of wood and pounded them in with a hammer. Luckily, this did not turn out in a disaster. My wife was NOT a fan of the butterflies and still gives me crap about them. Good things this chest is not for her! :)

IMG_8249.jpg IMG_8251.jpg IMG_8253.jpg

I was really happy that I was able to keep the rough cut walnut at a finished thickness of 7/8". This led to a complication with the Lid Stay Torsion Hinges, since they are made for 3/4" thick stock. Some mortises solved that issue. I traced the hinge onto a scrap piece of MDF and cut/rasped to the line. The rasp worked well for this task. The hinge fit well and I could use the template with a pattern bit in a small router to make perfectly fitting mortises.
IMG_8255.jpg IMG_8256.jpg IMG_8258.jpg IMG_8260.jpg

The lid has three battens on the bottom to keep it flat. The holes on the outside of the batten have over sized counter bores to allow for movement.
IMG_8270.jpg IMG_8271.jpg IMG_8262.jpg IMG_8268.jpg

I made a simple jig to help locate holes for the handles on the side of the chest. I clamped a board on the inside of the chest to prevent blow out.
IMG_8273.jpg IMG_8274.jpg IMG_8277.jpg

Here we have a completed chest.
IMG_8695.jpg

I really like the way the Lid Stay hinges will hold the lid in place.
IMG_8696.jpg

My wife can almost fit inside the chest. :wsmile: It should be able to hold a lot of stuff.
IMG_8704.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8259.jpg
    IMG_8259.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 53

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Wow - outstanding work.

BTW - I think your wife is "lying" about almost fitting (sorry, couldn't resist).

Henry

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Great project, she will love it for a lifetime. Your wife may have liked the butterflies better if they looked like real butterflies...

I am encouraged to build some furniture.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Jeremy
Excellent build, beautiful result! I really like the photos of the build....you make it look so simple...now, I am psyched to try a chest similar to yours.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
That is a great post and a beautiful piece of furniture. Hope you put a date a signature on it somewhere. Thanks for taking the time to put all those photos together.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I am beyond impressed Jeremy. Your niece is so lucky to have you as her uncle. Your method to chronicle this project should be promoted to an article.
Fantastic piece.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
That is a beautiful chest - love that walnut!
Very nice descriptions as you walked us through the processes.
Pretty sweet the way you worked so many firsts into the project as well.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
That is a great post and a beautiful piece of furniture. Hope you put a date a signature on it somewhere. Thanks for taking the time to put all those photos together.

Thanks Mark. My wife got me a branding iron from Rockler a couple years ago, this allows me to leave my mark on projects.

IMG_8711.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work and a timeless classic.:icon_thum

It will be enjoyed for a very long time and several generations I would think!

Thanks for posting all of the detail as well. (I know that it is sometimes hard to remember to stop during the principle stages of construction, snap a photo and document. Well done!)

Wayne

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeremy, Please enter a picture of the finished product in the Calendar Contest. We need more entries and I'm sure you wouldn't mind winning on of the gift certificate prizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors