Black Counter Top Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Hi guys, I'm looking for approx. 24x36 piece of black / dark colored counter laminate. I dont know when I'll use this for more than this project, so I figured I'd ask here before I buy a full sheet. I'm using this as a top to a router table. I'm happy to pay you for it! I'm in Matthews, NC (just south east of CLT) Happy to pick up and happy to pay. Please PM me if you can help, or if you have something similar that might work... like that phenolic stuff. I have some 3/4 Baltic Birch I'm using, just need to top it.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Kevin, I may be able to help. I'll have check the inventory and see. It my take a couple of days to get over to check but will be glad to check. I live in high point

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have some black Marbly looking stuff that you'd be welcome to have, but I'm all the way over in Cary. If you're coming to the picnic in May I could bring it then if that's not too far out timewise. I'm pretty sure I have a piece that's about 4'x4' and one that's about 2'x2', give or take an inch or two.

I was going to use it for a saw-table extension, but decided the marble pattern looked too much like sawdust and decided to go with an all-white sheet. Which I also have some leftovers of.

If you can use any of it, it's yours free - getting it to you may be the only problem.

- Ken.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Thanks guys. Yeah, I picked up some cocobola looking laminate from work. Looked cool there but my saw and router lift are both red / black, so it looks pretty odd. I figure I'll just leave it on and put some solid black on the other side. I'm not in a hurry for it.

Btw, I put the router lift directly in the sawstop table extension. It sagged by almost 1/16. I guess the MDF and pine support wasn't enough. It looks great, so I'm excited to do it right. I picked up some red oak to use as supports and 3/4 birch ply.

On a similar note, I used the router cut out template from mast-r-lift for the mast-r-lift 2. The cut out was 1/8 too big. A tad over 1/16 gap all around. Way too much play. They suggest using a 3/4 inch template guide with a 1/2" bit. If you want a tight fit, I'd suggest using a smaller bit. I have a 3/8 bit that I plan on using for this next go around. I might practice on scrap first also.

Also I went just a hair over 1/8" too deep. Then I cut a piece of 1/8" acrylic to put in the inset. This will give the set screws something hard to adjust against. Worked out good, so I'll def. do it again in the final.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I added some fold-up legs to the end of the table extension to support the outer end. Using these hinges to attach the legs. Just used a 1x1 painted black for the legs.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9993&site=ROCKLER

And then put these on the ends of the legs to make them adjustable to level the table.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=385&rrt=1

If I ever need to move the Saw I just fold up the legs and lock them in the up position and engage the SawStop's Wheel mechanism and I'm mobile. Drop the legs and lock them in the down position and adjust the levelers to support the extension top and I'm good to cut again.

If you need to fill that gap around the lift cutout, someone suggested using bondo in another thread.

- Ken.

jkintner

New User
Jon
We have literally over 100 sheets of various colors and sizes here in Raleigh if you are ever up here. All discontinued colors. Listed at $.85 square foot, we could work out a deal for you. See MarkE threads for photos.

i have always gone with the idea that top should be white so it will reflect more light so you can see the bit better and work safer..... then again i guess woodpeckers now has black tops they sell so it might not matter at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS