Biscuit Cutting 45 Degree Bevel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Had a bunch of biscuit slots to cut at 90 degrees to a 45 degree bevel. Rather than totaling relying on the fence on the biscuit joiner, I constructed this little "sled" from from some "scrap BORG 3/4 ply".

DSC003631.JPG

I was able to to cut all of the slots in the bevels perfectly centered on the workpiece in very short order. Saved me some time and frustration. Very simple, but worked great!

Just thought that I would share.....

Wayne

M

McRabbet

That looks like a great fixture, Wayne. For others that might want to do this as well, do you raise the position of the slot cutter so that it is close to the inside corner of the miter to insure that it doesn't blow out? And how do you hold the work piece securely (just by hand against the side stop or with a clamp)?

Rob

skosc18

New User
Scott
Does anyone have a jig (with pictures) of how I could make a 45 degree slot cut with a router? I'm still new and in the process of collecting my tools. A buscuit cutter isn't quite yet high on my priority list just yet.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Does anyone have a jig (with pictures) of how I could make a 45 degree slot cut with a router? I'm still new and in the process of collecting my tools. A buscuit cutter isn't quite yet high on my priority list just yet.

I have cut slots for internal splines in miter cuts by tilting the tablesaw blade to 45 deg. and running my stock flat on the table using the miter guage.

You could make a 45 deg block to support the stock and give it a runner to ride in the miter slot for guidence, and cut the slots using a slot cutter in a router table also.

Sorry, I am at work and drawing program challenged, so I have no pictures to show you.

HTH, Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
That looks like a great fixture, Wayne. For others that might want to do this as well, do you raise the position of the slot cutter so that it is close to the inside corner of the miter to insure that it doesn't blow out? And how do you hold the work piece securely (just by hand against the side stop or with a clamp)?

Rob

Hi Rob,

When I initially built the jig, I did in fact have "blowout" as evidenced in the bed of the jig(at the bottom of the "ramp"):BangHead: . I resolved this by cutting two pads (1 in 1/4" ply and the 2nd in 1/2" ply) that I screwed to the ramp. This helped to center the biscuit slot in the bevel. Couple more pics....

I also cheated a wee bit by taking the biscuit size down from 20 to 10. This turned out to be a better biscuit size for the 3/4" stock bevel.

As far as securing the workpiece while cutting the slot, I just clamped it to the base of fixture....

The resulting biscuit slot turned out to be quite adequate for the aplication...

Thanks for the feedback!

Wayne

M

McRabbet

AS suggested by my question Wayne, I usually favor the inside corner for mitered biscuits (or splines) in order to have more wood depth for a full #20 biscuit. Even though it isn't centered like your third picture, it is stronger and won't blow out. You just need to raise the slot cutting position about 1/8" higher.

JMTC. Rob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Auhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Now I get it Rob! I could just add an additional 1/8" of material to the "ramp" and that should get the slot into a "deeper" zone!

Thanks for the advice!

Wayne

M

McRabbet

Actually, it takes more than an 1/8" of material to raise the jointer enough, because it is at a 45º angle. If you leave your biscuit jointer set like this and the depth adjustment at the normal setting for 3/4" stock (lined up with the arrow on the height gauge), then a piece of 1/4" plywood inserted between base of the jointer and your ramp will bring the center of the slot to about 11/32" from the inside corner of the miter. A shim that is 3/8" thick will probably be almost dead nuts or a #20 may still blow out the back of the miter. Just try a few shim sizes or adjust the height adjusted to its lowest point.

Rob

Rob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks a whole bunch, Rob!! I will just experiment with the correct thickness of the shim. (I was just tryin to center the slot.....my mistake again!)

Thanks again for the great advice and taking the time to set a newbie staight!

Wayne

M

McRabbet

Just trying to help you make a really nice fixture you've created into a fool proof one that will work every time! Now, please submit it under your name to your favorite woodworking magazine!
Rob
Thanks a whole bunch, Rob!! I will just experiment with the correct thickness of the shim. (I was just tryin to center the slot.....my mistake again!)

Thanks again for the great advice and taking the time to set a newbie staight!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS