Birch plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Ok guys, I got all my tools set up so now the re-education starts!! Can y'all recommend a good source for birch ply (for shop cabinets) in the Raleigh/Fayettevllle area? Thanks in advance!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Geoff,

You might also consider Sandyply (Home Despot has it) for shop cabinets. It's not quite a nice as the Birch but looks nice for the shop. I've used it for some shop closets, cases and shelves that were painted, and some shop jigs.

Ray

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Last edited:

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I was there just recently and highly recommend them. Mr. Jackson is an incredibly easy person to work with. Make sure you call him first because he is not always available to help out. I went down looking for birch and came back with poplar. I know, I know, but I am painting it! There was no diff in price. If you truly want birch I saw it at the HD here in N Ral for the same price as Jackson had it. I thought the figure and pattern was actually nicer on the stuff at HD. Same number of plys as well - ten.

Good luck and don't forget the final pics ...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I found some "3/4" MDO at Builders Discount center for $25 a 4 x 8 sheet. It is 7 ply not counting the MDO layer (MDO = medium density overlay, which is a thin layer of mdf over the hardwood core). The hardwood face on the other side is smooth and close to walnut in color, altho it has more of a reddish tint (about as thick as the oak veneer on the borg stuff). Very view voids, and those were in the 1/4" diameter range. Works great for cabinets, especially of you are going to paint one side.

Go

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Both HD and Lowes carry shop grade birch plywood. Stuff from Lowes is from China, and isn't very good. A total waste of money in my opinion. HD carries birch ply by Columbia Forrest products, that is made in Old Fort NC. HD also carries a paint grade of birch/ poplar that is from China.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Not to be to picky but you may need to make the distinction between Birch and Baltic Birch. HD Birch is a 4' x 8' sheet of 5 to 7 ply of warped, kind of light splintery stuff.

Baltic Birch is a 5' x 5' flat piece with 13 to 14 layers of solid material. A bit more expensive and substantially higher quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors