Birch Plywood @ Lowes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have been known to complain about the plywood found at the BORG's. However, I found some baltic birch (and oak veneer) plywood at Lowe's in Wake Forest that looks good. I bought two 4' x 8' sheets. I'll let you know how it holds up as I cut it and use it. I am working on some new shop storage solutions. Oh yeah the ply is $49.98/sheet.

Doug

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Not to curse any high hopes you may have, I have a similar experience not to long ago at the BORG. I picked up some plywood that from the rack looked wonderful. Nice, straight plys that appeared to be solid wood and no gaps. I was shocked, to the say the least.

It wasn't to be though. After cutting into my boards, I quickly found mangled plys and gaps ... a bit messy to say the least.

Let us know how that batch works out though ... I'd like to think the BORG could carry good ply.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Isn't Baltic Birch usually sold in 5'x5' sheets?

I've used the Oak stuff and it was ok. More voids than regular Baltic Birch but it looked nice.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
I have to agree with WoodWrangler. I went to lowes this week and the hardwood faced ply was awful. i saw 2 sheets where the hardwood face was coming off. Others had voids and layers on top of each other that looked liek they were just pressed harder to get level. No chance that will open back up when you cut it. :nah:

I also went to to HD and saw about the same. The stuff at lowes was from china and the HD ply was from south america i think.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
It is not BALTIC birch. However, I cut it today and ...no voids at all! It has more than the normal number of plys. So far it has been great! I am making a festool rolling cabinet out of it. The MFT will rest on top and the systainers, vacuum and extra sand paper bins will fit inside, either on full extension drawers or an opening for the vac. I plan to use the Kapex on top.

I'll document later. Maybe in a how to section.

Doug

J

jeff...

It is not BALTIC birch. However, I cut it today and ...no voids at all! It has more than the normal number of plys. So far it has been great! I am making a festool rolling cabinet out of it. The MFT will rest on top and the systainers, vacuum and extra sand paper bins will fit inside, either on full extension drawers or an opening for the vac. I plan to use the Kapex on top.

I'll document later. Maybe in a how to section.

Doug

WOW - you got ply board for the BORG that good? Holy :swoon:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The 3/4 stuff I bought a while back had about 9 plys (which is much more than normal), but was not baltic birch either. The veneer was "okay" ... but most of my disappointment was in the quality of the plys once I cut into it.

If you are getting a good batch ... I'd like to know more!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Let us know how that batch works out though ... I'd like to think the BORG could carry good ply.
It's a hit and miss. The plywood at the Lowe's here in Cary is pretty bad. The Home Depot in Cary across the street from Lowe's is worse. But the Home Depot in Apex (10 minutes from there) has great hardwood ply - both oak and birch.

The crew at the Cary Home Depot stacks the plywood haphazardly. On a good day, it's halfway supported on either side. The store in Apex puts it squarely on the supports, which means the stuff actually stays reasonably straight.

The birch ply at the Lowe's in WF looked pretty good today. But yeah, plywood is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you get until you cut into it.

TracyB

New User
Tracy
I hate to ask a stupid question but, What is a BORG? I have seen several other acronyms on here that I have no idea what they are. I'm embarrassed to ask but I would like to know.
Thanks,
TracyB

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Jim gave you the link, and the answer is Big Orange Retail Giant.

Doug

P.S. BLO is Boiled Linseed Oil, SWMBO is She who Must Be Obeyed, IMHO is In mY Humble Opinionb, and FWIW is For What Its Worth, for what its worth. :gar-La;

peterdnight

Peter
User
I have been pretty happy with the birch i picked up at Lowes in Apex; few voids... that said I just got back from Gibsonville with a load of baltic birch ... anyone know nearer places? I picked up a bunch of cherry anyway, but would be nice to go somewhere closer by...

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I noticed yesterday that the HD in Apex also had 3/4" Maple plywood for $57 in addition to the Oak and Birch previously mentioned. All three had about 5 plys, and no alternating dark/light bands like you see with BC pine, sande/blondewood, or baltic birch plywood. Anyone know why?

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>> Isn't Baltic Birch usually sold in 5'x5' sheets?

Yes, true Baltic Birch plywood is made in Russia or Finland and is made to metric sizes. The standard size is 150 x 150 centimeters or "almost" 60" x 60".

There is lots of Asian and South American high ply plywood that is typically sold in home centers. I have never seen real Baltic Birch in a home center. That doesn't mean the the 4x8 high ply plywood is sub-par--I've used some very successfully for shop or painted cabinets. But, some can be real junk.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
And one of DaveO's favorites that I forget half the time and have to think about - YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

BTW - I thought BORG was Big Obnoxious Retail Giant?

Jim gave you the link, and the answer is Big Orange Retail Giant.

Doug

P.S. BLO is Boiled Linseed Oil, SWMBO is She who Must Be Obeyed, IMHO is In mY Humble Opinionb, and FWIW is For What Its Worth, for what its worth. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS