Biesemeyer or Vega Fence for Table Saw

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Anyone here with experience on upgraded table saw fence systems? I've heard good things about both the Biesemeyer and Vega fences. The Vega is more budget friendly, but I'd rather buy something that's going to last and be more accurate in cuts than just getting a fence.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I love my Biesemeyer . never used a vega so I cant comment on it.

Do you notice any flexing on the outfeed side that would affect the saw cutting operation? That's the one negative, other than the price, from other users.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Which Vega Fence? The pro or utility?

My father in law has the Pro 50 that works very well. He cuts sheet goods with his setup. I would have bought the same fence, but I found a very good deal on an Excalibur fence.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Like Fred, I love mine. I’ve never noticed any flexing, although when cutting something thin (say, 1/8”ply), the fact that the outfeed end isn’t attached means you have to be careful you don’t push the piece under the fence. That’s the only time I’ve felt a need to clamp that end to the table.

On the flip side, the design of the Bessy makes it easy to attach auxiliary fences (I drilled and tapped a couple of holes in the top for secure attachment). With some tight tolerances you can even come up with sliding aux fences for special purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I've always been a fan of the Unifence style fences. I had one on a Delta contractor saw years ago and got used to the flexibility of using the fence in a short or tall configuration. I upgraded my old Grizzly 1023 with the Unifence and Uni-T-fence extrusion.

My current Grizzly table saw has a similar style fence, as does my Grizzly band saw.

LB75

George
Not sure if you've already looked at it but I went with a Very Super Cool Tools fence on my Grizzly and love it. It's rock solid and the channels offer the ability to attach all sorts of auxiliary fences.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm very happy with my Vega Fence that I purchased just before I bought a SawStop TS. I ordered the SS without a fence and it was incredibly easy to mount the Vega onto it. It has a micro-adjust feature which I rarely use, but when it is needed, it surely comes in handy. There customer service is excellent as well. So you probably won't go wrong with either choice. I really like my Vega.

I'm no longer very close to you as I've moved to Virginia. But if you're ever cruising the parkway, let me know and I'd be happy to show it to you.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have had a Vega for 25 years; it came mounted on my Delta Contractor's saw. I LOVE it and have never had a problem.
The best feature is the micro-adjust - worth going for the Vega for that feature alone.
Flex? NOT.
It does ride above the table so, like someone else posted about another fence, very thin materials can slip underneath it.
Mounting jigs? Probably not as easy as the VSC fence with extrusion, but I have made several 'box-sliding over the rectangle of the fence' type jigs that work well (i.e. a tenon jig).
I highly recommend it. I know there are other NCWW posters that have written similar positive reviews. Do a search.
I personally see no advantage of a Biesmeyer fence system over a Vega, but do see advantages of the Vega (not knocking the B fence, I own one but have never installed it).

Last edited:

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I’ve never used the Bies so I can’t comment on it but put a Vega U50 on my Grizzly hybrid within the last year and has been great. No flex, set up was pretty straight forward. Only issue I had was bending the rear fence attachment bracket. When I locked the fence down the back would pick up a little bit. Not really a big deal, just bothered me. I also put Jessem TS stock guides on it so they ended up pushing the rear of the fence up as well when they engaged. But after about 10 minutes with the bracket in the vise I got it to where there is almost 0 play when locking down. I doubt you would go wrong with either one but I really like my Vega.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Do you notice any flexing on the outfeed side that would affect the saw cutting operation? That's the one negative, other than the price, from other users.
nope. solid as a rock. mine is an older one. don't know if that matters.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I don't have a genuine Biese on my saw, but a clone I built 20 years ago. Built my first while teaching school, and I've been gone from there 22+ years. Love it so much, that when I sold my old Craftsman saw, kept the fence. If you have access to welding skills, a Biese clone isn't that hard to make. I have on hand most of, if not all of the materials to build another. In my shop is a genuine Biese fence that is missing mounting hardware, that I might sell.

gmakra

New User
George
I second George on The Super Cool Tools fence.
I have one on my Unisaw and love it.
It adjust easily and is rock solid.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS