Bet You Didn't Know Your Belt Sander Could Do This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
That wild and crazy Guido Henn is at it again in this video from the German Woodworking magazine Holzverken. Mute it if you don't want to hear the German commentary. Now I just need to create a few jigs unless someone has a spare green Bosch beltsander:
[video=youtube;sLGC7fJd1xQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLGC7fJd1xQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
I have that sander, although it's blue. What I don't have are all the accessory jigs. I'm lucky enough to already have an edge sander, widebelt sander, spindle sander, and disc sander, so I don't need ALL the jigs. The one I would like to have—and can't find anywhere—is the first one he used: the leveling shoe. They don't make it anymore, and I've never been able to find a used one. That could be REALLY handy for leveling very large surfaces that won't fit through the widebelt! It's a great idea; I'm surprised that they don't offer it anymore.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
It is German...maybe it will come to our country in a FESTOOL wrapper! :gar-La;

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I've got a blue version of that sander, too. I wish I'd gotten that first attachment at the time I bought the sander. I'm thinking I'll have to look at the sander now and see if I can design one to make in the shop. Probably not that difficult. I never really thought about all those other attachments before.

Thanks for sharing the video.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Never knew there were belt sander attachments to help use them for the things I've done (tried to do?) with them.
Makita lists a sanding shoe but I couldn't find one.
Interesting video. Thanks for sharing.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Personally, I have never been able to achieve perfect flatness with a belt sander, even with a shoe and a jig. Even with a wide belt sander, one still has to clean up belt marks afterwards and accuracy goes South.

Take a very light swipe with a long hand plane on a sanded top and the sanded valleys and peaks immediately show up.

As I do not run a production shop, I can afford a little extra time and normally get to around 0.002" flat with hand planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS