Best wood for making a cutting board

tarheelmaker

New User
Phil
I've always used walnut and maple. Cherry is good too. I've read you want to be careful of some exotics due to not food safe compounds in the wood.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
Maple and Walnut are very nice to work with. I mad three about 15 or so years ago. I'd probably do end grain for obvious reasons.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Maple and Walnut are very nice to work with. I mad three about 15 or so years ago. I'd probably do end grain for obvious reasons.

Thanks. Could you explain that last sentence for me?
End grain cutting boards seem to last longer, they don't show the knife cuts and scratches as much, and they are easier on your knife edges. Plus they look better, imho.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Plus, with end-grain boards, you can achieve some really neat 3D looking effects. Google mtmWood- he has almost two dozen step-by step, detailed YouTube videos that show how to make some really cool 3D boards. He is from Russia and speaks Russian, but his videos have English captioning and he shows Sketch-Up drawings that have dimensions (in metric) . He also used to sell plans on his website, but so far I have been able to get the dimensions and enough info from his videos to build them without plans. His business has grown over the years (so have his two sons who often appear in his videos)- he started with a small home shop, grew into a larger home-based commercial shop, and now has a small factory, several employees and two small retail stores (kiosks) in Moscow and some other city. He also sells online.

My first two basic cutting boards. A simple long grain hard Maple and Walnut board and more complex end-grain one also made from Maple and Walnut (both un-oiled):

IMG_1984.JPG

My first 3D end-grain cutting board. What you see changes with the viewing position and angle, and how long you stare at it. Hard Maple and Walnut finished with two baths of mineral oil then with an application of a heated 4:1 mix of mineral oil and pure beeswax (all food-safe).

IMG_2009.JPG

Something a little more complex. A 3D end-grain zig-zag wall(?) made from hard Maple, Walnut, and Mahogany. Same finish.

IMG_2046.JPG

Finally, at the bottom, is my most complex 3D end-grain cutting board to date. Maple, Walnut, Cherry. Same finish as above. At the bottom and to the left of the zig-zag is a different zig-zag from White Oak and Walnut with an end-grain walnut border- to me it looks a little like books stacked on edge(?). In the upper left is a smaller board made with leftovers from the large complex board. Leftovers and sometimes two full boards are common because it is often easier to prepare longer pieces of stock than needed.

IMG_2044.JPG

The full size White Oak and Walnut cutting board:

IMG_2011.JPG

Last edited:

waitup

New User
Matt
Can you do end-grain cutting boards without a drum sander?

Yes, I have made a few without a drum sander. You just have to be very careful on your glue ups to keep everything in-line. Then you sand with ROS or belt sander depending on how good of a job you did gluing.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
A few cutting board considerations:
  • End grain boards are 5x the work of a long grain board. Part of that work is fun (designing, ripping, gluing), most of it is not fun (sanding)
  • For every 10 minutes you spent aligning your saw (fence, sled, etc.) you'll save 2 hours of sanding end grain
  • Even a drum sander takes forever with end grain, the only thing that REALLY speeds things up is a wide belt sander
  • Some people use a planer to flatten an end grain board. This can be a tricky operation, and flame wars have erupted over whether this is safe/ smart
  • Most people do not know, understand, or appreciate the difference between a long grain and end grain board
  • Many people are hesitant to cut on such a beautiful board, which means the advantages of end grain are moot
  • Don't underestimate the value of simpler, smaller boards. When I'm cutting bulk for dinner, I use the big cutting board, but for a tomato, I want small board that's easy to handle and quick to wash. Don't be afraid to start with those
  • Small boards are excellent for getting rid of scrap
  • Nothing beats end grain in terms of creativity, patterns, complexity, etc. Alan's boards are great examples of what's possible (nice work Alan!)
  • Good tutorial on making an end grain board:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I think it would be extremely difficult to make an end grain cutting board without a planer but a drum sander is sometimes nice to have. Like, with any project you also need a good blade (I mainly use a ripping blade) and an accurate rip fence on your table saw. I use a planer to prepare stock and to dimension subassemblies- 3D end grain cutting boards can require multiple glue-ups and re-sawing.

I always run my end grain cutting boards through my planer after all glue-ups are done. First, I glue a long grain strip on the back edge to prevent large tear-out/chip offs. I've never had a problem with a cutting board "exploding" It could be an issue if you attempt to take too much off in a single pass, using brittle wood, don't use enough glue during assembly, or attempt to plane a thin board. Remember, though the eventual pieces will be cut short during the final step, all glue-ups are long-grain to long-grain- the strongest glue joint.

I typically make my end grain cutting boards between 1-1/2" to 1 3/4" thick. Since the cutting boards are usually around 12" - 14" wide, I make multiple extremely light passes through the planer and drum sander if I'm using that. You must remember a drum sander is for surfacing not for thicknessing! The amount of time I spend sanding with a ROS depends on the condition of my planer blades and/or sanding drum abrasive. You don't need to go all crazy. I start with 60 or 80 grit and rarely go above 160 or 180 grit. I often stop at 120 grit. Too much sanding heat will cause the glue joints to expand and you'll feel them when you run your hands and fingers over the board.

awldune

Sam
User
FWIW I made a maple and walnut "long grain" cutting board in shop class in junior high and my mom enjoyed using it for about 25 years until one of the glue joints finally gave out. This 25 years of use included a lot of soaking in the sink with the dirty dishes.

That said, it was only a simple striped pattern. A checkerboard type of pattern using long grain is going to be weak where the end grain edges meet.

23tony

New User
Tony
A question from inexperience: why specifically a drum sander instead of a handheld RO? Seems to me that RO with a low grit would make fairly quick work of the initial leveling.

Keep in mind I've only ever read about this, haven't done any so my knowledge is limited.

Billm0066

New User
Bill
Can you do end-grain cutting boards without a drum sander?

I run end grain through my planer. I have a dw375 and with blades or shelix head it’s absolutely no issue. Light passes. I’ve planed 60+ end grain boards of all sorts of species. Exotic and domestic. The whole don’t plane end grain is so overblown.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
A question from inexperience: why specifically a drum sander instead of a handheld RO? Seems to me that RO with a low grit would make fairly quick work of the initial leveling.

Keep in mind I've only ever read about this, haven't done any so my knowledge is limited.
Sanding end grain is slow work. It's hard not to sand one spot a little lower and if the end product is not perfectly flat, you'll definitely know it when you try to use it. It's possible but you have to be meticulous about it. If you do it, I'd recommend scribbling pencil marks over the whole top and stop sanding as soon as it disappears. If using a planer or hand plane you need to add sacrificial boards around an end grain cutting board.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Hardwoods, I am partial to contrasting colored species myself. Here is a pic of one I did.

Attachments

• 20200826_003231.jpg
    20200826_003231.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 166

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
I just completed an end grain cutting board with the cut offs from my brother’s pre-fab butcher block countertop. Perk of this recycled board is that I had to do one glue-up. His kitchen sink slot was just enough for a cutting board about 1in thick. But there were some pieces with voids which had to be trashed. I have to give props to Michael Matthews though for letting me use his drum sander: my glue up was not very flat.

I have also made an end grain board with maple which has lasted a few years without needing refinish.

Attachments

• 3E579483-AC39-45B8-B308-F15A2414B516.jpeg
    3E579483-AC39-45B8-B308-F15A2414B516.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 153

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
End grain cutting boards seem to last longer, they don't show the knife cuts and scratches as much, and they are easier on your knife edges. Plus they look better, imho.
@MarkE why are end grain cutting boards "easier on your knife edges"?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
@MarkE why are end grain cutting boards "easier on your knife edges"?
The sharp edge of the knife slips more easily between the end grain fibers of the wood as apposed to rubbing across the long grain so the knife edge does not wear as quickly.

I have heard end grain described as similar to a bundle of straws.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS